Impala Forums banner

Cut back ground electrodes

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Sequoyah 
#1 ·
Hey Guys/Gals

Was just reading here http://www.intense-racing.com/techtips.shtml the 5th question down about plugs. Have any of you tried he cut back ground electrodes spark plugs or can you recommend a brand of cut back ground electrodes? If the actually help with performance that is.
Thanks

#3 ·
The side gapping thing is interesting to me but I have seen some guys I trust say it only works for a dyno pull or two.

Done some reading on indexing too and seems to know what actually works in your head casting, you have to experiment and in a street car the car will be too inconsistent to actually get meaningful data from testing.

Sparkplugs are a place whetre everyone wants to find power, but fact is fancy ones make no more power than cheap ones, multiple electrodes are a sales gimick. Platinum and iridium offer an advantage in reducing gap errosion but that is all. In performance engines it has even been found that they might contribute to some detonation due to the tiny tips being potential hot spots, some even claim platinum can act as a catylist in the chamber and cause some detonation that way. Not really hard to imagine seeing as platinum is a big part of how calalytic converters work.

Basically if you are looking to leave plugs in for a long time in a street car look at platinum or iridium. If a performance oriented application and you don't mind doing plugs say once a year $1.50-2.50 apiece plain plugs will work just fine.

#4 ·
Just for information purposes

Not trying to ask a question then argue with you guys LOL just posting info that I found you or someone may find interesting.

http://www.ngk.com/sparkplug411.asp?kw=Cut+back+ground&mfid=1

There is also all kinds of stuff on google. I have been doing some sniffing around and have found that if ya are "**heavily** modded" like wedebrook said and trying to get the best run at the track where every thing you have helps the other mod perform that much better you MIGHT see a difference or on a dyno like Dwayne J said. But in a daily driver it isn't gonna make that big of a difference. But if some one is running them please let me know I am here to learn:biggrin:

Sequoyah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.