Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my seats of my 96 impala are starting to rip at the seams. (well just the drivers side). Estimated fix cost is $600 and I figure that if I am going to spend that kind of money I might as well look at other color options

Anyways I'm thinking of replacing the middle leather insert on the bottom and back of the seat with black leather, making the seats 2 toned? Has anyone seen this before?

So whats everyones opinion on custom vs stock cars? Do u look for stock something else? and what about how customization affect resale values.

I personally am more of a stock guy, but did do have an XM Radio, upgraded the exhaust, and the cold air intake.

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
If ya want something black to trim the seat with......maybe black suede? Would keep you from sliding around,burning (most of) your ass on a hot day or freezing on a cold day and it would be diff. Of course it depends on what else your planning on doing to the interior, if only the seat/s you may want to just make them look factory again with new foam and leather.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah just the seats. I those black impala mats that i really like. true suede would be better, im already getting chapped as it is already when i sit in that car.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Or as we here in Texas do park the car under a big shade tree.:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Use to be able to, but now they got them there fenses around them to keep us away from'em, guess the owners were getting jealous. :smile: And who told you that my car leaks oil from the front crank seal?:redface:

G

·
As to your question about custom or stock, who cares? Make it your own! When I had a seat skin redone, the shop told me that the expensive part was finding the perforated material in the middle to match. I wanted to keep the skins original looking so didn't go with a cheaper option.

I am REALLY beginning to love two tone interiors in these impalas. I am going to be changing to black carpet in the near future, with matching inserts on the door panels and console.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I am on my second SS and been through 3 9C1's !

My original 95 SS was modded with the Bonneville Seat mod. “I” loved it.

Then opportunity knocked to purchase a 96 BBHP 6 speed converted SS. Wife.com over ruled 2 SS’s in the same driveway, so . . .my 95 went For Sale.

Everyone
and
I
mean
EVERYONE

who came to see her all asked... “where’s the stock seats”!
No one liked my bonnies . . .and the price was effected.

Note to self - EVER convert to bonnies again KEEP THE STOCK SEATS!

So, my advise is to get a set of Bonny seats

http://www.9c1.com/technical/bonneville_seat_install/bonneville_seat_install.htm

and have them two toned.

My daily driver 9C1 clone has Bonnies with original leather outside trim and fabric inset - which is a cool in the summer/warm in the winter seating option. $400 deal at a local shop!

They look and feel GREAT!

They are (Bonnies) harder to find as time goes by . . .but they ARE out there.

Above all - save you stockers . . .just in case, you never really know what the future holds, and trust me - you want those seats for the resale value of the car . . .even worn or torn!

Good luck

Tony Pace

·
Registered
574 Posts
So my seats of my 96 impala are starting to rip at the seams. (well just the drivers side). Estimated fix cost is $600 and I figure that if I am going to spend that kind of money I might as well look at other color options

Anyways I'm thinking of replacing the middle leather insert on the bottom and back of the seat with black leather, making the seats 2 toned? Has anyone seen this before?

So whats everyones opinion on custom vs stock cars? Do u look for stock something else? and what about how customization affect resale values.

I personally am more of a stock guy, but did do have an XM Radio, upgraded the exhaust, and the cold air intake.
You got some good advice from the other guys. If you are a stock guy, then stay stock. Bonnies look great and seat you better, but some people do not like like them. It depends on if you plan on keeping the car forever. Customize it the way you want it, do what makes you happy. If you can see yourself selling it in the future then either keep it stock or keep the stock parts. If you customize it too much then you limit the potential prospects for who will buy it. Like my car, I installed a supercharger. If I ever had to sell it (it kills me to even type that) I would have a small potential of buyers who would be interested in it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts