Impala Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone just wanted to let everyone know that I am beginning the process of building a custom sub box for the 06 SS.... should be done in a week or so I will post pics when completed..:biggrin:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
LET ME KNOW ALWAYS INTERESTED IN CUSTOM AUDIO :biggrin:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the box itself done, I also have the amp mounted in plexiglass with 4 LEDs illuminating it, and also in the box i have ran an extra fan even though the amp has a fan on it..oh and of course an exhaust for the hot air. I went ahead and wired everything in parallel to make sure all components get 12 volts...I should be done by Friday. All I have left to do is wrap it in vinyl, but I think I will use 1/4 or 1/2 foam under it to give that upholstered look. I just hope it turns out decent since it is the first one I have built....28 years old and have always had some aftermarket car audio....First time for everthing!!!!!!!!!!!I will post pictures as soon as I get completed.....

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
looks damn good for the 1st time ...... what amp are u using and is that a 12 or a 10 ill put some pics of the touchscreen up today w my 15 peace looks good !!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds Good....Although the next one i will make will be a little different. Its a kenwood 800 max so probably 300RMS not much for the R12.....

Like i said next time I will make a few changes and try something a little more extreme.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
What I do not understand is why put the sound in the trunk when you want to hear and feel it IN the car?

Pointing the speaker and building it where the sound is forced into the back seat thereby into the cabin and not the trunk would be more logical to me.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
by having the sub firing towards the trunk you are creating a "gasket" by which the air moves......the sound then "echoes" off of the walls in the trunk creating the deep bass that most people desire.......

about 80% of the time professional and amateur installers will have subs fiing into the trunk and not into the cabin...

this is a good forum about explaining how it works........beleive me I would thinkit makes sense to fire them in the cabin too but......

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/forum_posts.asp?TID=3303&KW=Philo

·
Registered
17 Posts
got a question

i have an 06 impala ss and two 12's diamonds wit a ported box but i kept the stock head unit
we wired it in to the speaker wires it sounds awesome but since the amp is pluged right to the fuse it always is getting power even if the cars off
so i have to unpluge the fuse in the back of the amp every time i turn off the car is there an easyier way or a different fuse i could use so it cuts the power to the amp when the car turns off and powers the amp right back up when the cars on so i dont have to unplug that fuse from the amp every time because its a definate pain to keep unpluging and plugging it

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
When choosing the fuse to plug your remote wire into, choose a component that turns on and off with the car. I forget what I chose for mine, but I have the same setup as you and it turns off with the car. Ill check which fuse I used and get back to you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
fuse choosing

so choosing a differnt fuse will then allow me to turn the amp power off when i urn the car off with out having to take the fuse out the amp

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Correct... I imagine your remote wire is routed to the fuse box? Some components do not require power when the car is in the off position.

·
Registered
7 Posts
how did you wire your subs to your speakers/stock stereo? and why dont you just run a kill switch in between your amp and where you wired the remote? that way you can turn off the amp when ever you want no just when you turn off the car

·
Registered
17 Posts
wiring

i first tryed a wire that only powered on when thecar was off and powered off when the car was off but i didnt work

1 - 16 of 16 Posts