Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,,
I have a 1996 Impala SS with 66700 miles on it. When I cut the wheel all the way to either side, I get this heartbreaking creaking noise. I only cut the wheel all the way at low speeds, so I wouldn't know if it does this at high speeds. I was thinking it may be the fact that it is RWD, and cutting the wheel all the way exceeds the maximum angle at which the front wheels can spin when being pushed? In other words, Is the power from the rear wheels pushing the car forward more than the front wheels can change the direction of the force? Imagine having a RWD car with the front wheels at a 90 degree angle to the car and flooring it. The only way the car is going anywhere is if the front wheels slide across the pavement right? is that what is happening? or was that a waste of 10 minutes thinking of how to explain that? haha:tongue: I had an alignment done 5 weeks ago, along with a new idler arm....

what is breaking?
why is it breaking?
how much does it cost?

haha thanks so much! I'm kind of a nerd, so a very detailed explanation of what is going on would be great!!!

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
I would suspect sway bar bushings, sway bar end link bushings and lower control arm bushings (all or a combination).

The sway bar bushings and end link bushings are easy to change. The control arm bushings are much more difficult.

You would have to check the price of replacement sway bar end links and bushings, and the sway bar bushings. If you have basic mechanical skills, you can change them in an hour or so.

The lower control arm bushings must be pressed out and in, after removal of the lower control arm. You would have to have an estimate from a shop.

You could change the sway bar bushings and end links, and the sway bar bushings, and see if that corrects the creaking / groaning.

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Fwiw, Rockauto.com has some sway bar and lower control arm bushings on wholesaler closeout clearance for '12+. I recently bought some Mevotech endlinks for my '12, '13 and son's '16 Limited for 96 cents each on wholesaler closeout. It'd probably be easiest and possibly cheapest to swap out the entire lower control arm if needed unless you can press out/in the new bushings yourself. Most control arms are reasonably priced and come with new bushings and balljoint installed. Some even come with a new endlink.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello everyone,,
I have a 1996 Impala SS with 66700 miles on it. When I cut the wheel all the way to either side, I get this heartbreaking creaking noise. I only cut the wheel all the way at low speeds, so I wouldn't know if it does this at high speeds. I was thinking it may be the fact that it is RWD, and cutting the wheel all the way exceeds the maximum angle at which the front wheels can spin when being pushed? In other words, Is the power from the rear wheels pushing the car forward more than the front wheels can change the direction of the force? Imagine having a RWD car with the front wheels at a 90 degree angle to the car and flooring it. The only way the car is going anywhere is if the front wheels slide across the pavement right? is that what is happening? or was that a waste of 10 minutes thinking of how to explain that? haha:tongue: I had an alignment done 5 weeks ago, along with a new idler arm....
openweb.vip/whatsapp-web/ https://19216801.onl/ routerlogin.uno/
what is breaking?
why is it breaking?
how much does it cost?

haha thanks so much! I'm kind of a nerd, so a very detailed explanation of what is going on would be great!!!
Thank you my issue has been solved,...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Dont worry joy The 1994-1996 Chevrolet Impala SS will go down in history as one of Chevrolet's finest muscle cars. Chevrolet introduced the Impala SS concept in 1993 at the Detroit Auto Show.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The car was dressed up in black paint and flashy wheels and featured a 300-horsepower LT1 engine. The heart of the Impala SS is the LT1 V8, which pumped 260 hp and 330 lb-ft of torque through a column-shifted 4L60 transmission. routerilogin The highest-selling Chevy vehicle on our list is the ,Impala, selling more than 13 million units from the time it was introduced in 1958 until 2000. routerilogin.net The Impala also has the honor of being the best-selling car in America in a single year: It sold 1,046,514 units in 1965.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Air in the power steering pump will cause squealing and whine. Creaking noises are typically from metal on metal contact and could be ball joints that have lost their grease. Is the sound a creak (like a door hinge), squeal or whine?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts