Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now I had no idea what to name this thread, and quite frankly I'm not even sure if its possible but here it goes anyway. I have been searching the web for some way to introduce an X-pipe into a custom exhaust I want done. Now this is just an idea I created in my head, but what if you were to run an exhaust system like so: headers to a "Y" pipe, weld the dual outlets of the "Y" pipe to the dual inlets of an "X" pipe, and run two straight pipes off the "X" pipe, and finally into two dual exhaust tips. Is this even possible? If so, do you think it will restrict flow? Or could it possibly achieve the sound I am so desperately looking to get out of this V8 that for some reason can't be converted to true duals. I really need some input/advice, I am really hoping no one has covered this, and am also hoping I did not just jot down a paragraph of non-sense. Someone please shine some light on my idea.

·
Registered
285 Posts
X pipe

I think your biggest problems are, 1 Is your car governed by emissions laws. and 2, room under the car for the exhaust. However anything it possible.

Jeff

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
not sure if there would be room for "true dual" I would do 3in off the down pipe to a 3 inch y at the rear. Strait pipes if ya want that ear shattering growl that a strait piped 5.3 puts out. here is my buddies 2012 5.3 sierra cutoff at the cat. It would be a lot deeper with full length pipe and the video is off of a cell phone so sound quality isn't great. :eek:k3:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My state is not governed by emsission laws, and I believe it would work if you use short straight piping or configure it in a way to fit. But now that I know its not too ridiculous of an idea.... do you think it will lose hp? restrict flow? create that pontiac g8 type of sound (haha)? Lol, I don't know if you know the answer to those questions but any input is better than none

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Damn, that does sound nice. But yea I am looking for that G8 type of sound, and ive yet to find it on any impala ss exhaust setup.

The noise im talking about:

skip to 20 seconds...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im not sure if you understood what I meant for this setup. So I drew up a diagram in photoshop so you can see exactly what I am thinking.

Attachments

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
do a 3 inch y and 2 borla ATAKs

Reactions: ImpySS07

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
its not cheap tho about $700 for just the mufflers

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
The system as you layed it out doesn't make much sense to me, why have an x pipe after the y? Just run both those pipes back from the y, the y IS the x. Or, just get a good catback system, if its sound you're after.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
The system as you layed it out doesn't make much sense to me, why have an x pipe after the y? Just run both those pipes back from the y, the y IS the x. Or, just get a good catback system, if its sound you're after.
x2, not really a dual exhaust anyway

·
Cucky
662 Posts
just get a downpipe, either o/r or with a highflow cat. up to you and then delete the resonator and get the mufflers. it will sound close to that.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Call me crazy, but wouldn't it be less restrictive if we remove the Y pipe and just go true duals directly from the headers......no mid pipe...no down pipe???

I would draw it out but no ms paint at work LOL

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Yeah but that wouldnt make much sense let alone i dont even think there is that much room under there. Have you ever looked under the hood or under the car where the downpipe is?

Plus the motor is in there side ways which would make unequal exhaust flow and mess with the front 4 cylinders.

It would be so much work for such little gain

also the x pipe after the y pipe makes no sense just makes a restriction which will decrease your power

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
True dual would be impossible on a sideways engine, unless you want to route the exhaust from the engine compartment outside of the car, it can't be done. You have the front header, a crossover, rear header, and downpipe. The reason is that there is no room for anything else.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
Once the two banks are fully merged as it looks like the front of the system would be, the "sound" of an x-pipe will be lost.

Part of the perceived sound quality loss with the gen III+ engines has to do with the firing order as well, so no matter what you wont ever get it to sound like an oldschool smallblock

·
Registered
624 Posts
x y must be a dna thing :dizzy:

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I think someone made a custom Y-pipe for his Impala's exhaust and god rid of the horseshoe pipe. Makes more sense to me.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts