Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post ever on this forum!

I'm the happy owner (so far) of a 2014 2LT Impala, I wanted to ask you and have your feedback about the latest impala's windshield, I've cracked one windshield and insurance (AAA) replaced it for a brand new GM windshield, before I did replaced it the first time had another tiny rock hit my windshield and another crack!

Windshield was replaced late January 2015, and now had another stupid crack this Monday (04/06/2015) another tiny rock, luckily I called Safelite and next day the guy showed at my workplace and filled the crack (about the size of a quarter on the passenger side, however I feel like this new impala may have a really thin layer of glass because I was driving around 45mph when I got hit by that stupid rock :gaah:

Anyhow, I appreciate your feedback and wish you the best!

Cheers

SAM

·
Registered
568 Posts
No issues here. How many miles do you have?

Remember anything hitting ?

Only thing windshield related - maybe 1 rain storm - I had a lot of water spots on the windshield after a wiper wipe... reminded me of a 1992 z34 lumina I had.. never seen that on any other GM I've had...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi impy2ltz2014 !

I've about 14,000 miles on it, like I mentioned before just small rocks on highways

:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Everyone!

This is my first post ever on this forum!

I'm the happy owner (so far) of a 2014 2LT Impala, I wanted to ask you and have your feedback about the latest impala's windshield, I've cracked one windshield and insurance (AAA) replaced it for a brand new GM windshield, before I did replaced it the first time had another tiny rock hit my windshield and another crack!

Windshield was replaced late January 2015, and now had another stupid crack this Monday (04/06/2015) another tiny rock, luckily I called Safelite and next day the guy showed at my workplace and filled the crack (about the size of a quarter on the passenger side, however I feel like this new impala may have a really thin layer of glass because I was driving around 45mph when I got hit by that stupid rock :gaah:

Anyhow, I appreciate your feedback and wish you the best!

Cheers

SAM
We drive a 2015 Chevy Impala and the windshield cracked from the base at the center of the windshield, behind the wipers. We now have a 10" crack coming up from the base. I do not see evidence of something hitting the windshield - not sure how a stone would even get down behind the hood anyway.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We have had THREE broken windshields from small pebbles. Two on our 2015 Impala and one today on our new 2018 Impala. There must be an issue with the windshields. Owned cars for 40+ years and not one busted windshield and now 3 since I’ve owned Impalas. Other than that, I love my car.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Older thread, but ok. lol

Glass is glass and it does crack. Have been unfortunate enough to have several cracked windshields over my life of driving and most have been a result of a piece of rock that just happened to find my glass. Bright side WAS that many insurance companies used to build it into policies due to state laws on cracks causing obstructed view and often times had low or no deductibles for windshield replacement. Think the last one we had replaced was when we had allstate we had one replaced on one of our chevy trucks probably 15-20 years ago. Our durango and our 12 impala both have cracks. Farm bureau does not cover windshield replacement, so I refuse to replace them unless they obstruct our view, there are too damned many gravel trucks around here that drop rock on the road and even when you stay back 10 or more car lengths from them on the road or put another car between you and them there is still that chance the car in front of you picks it up and chucks it right into your windshield or that the rock bounces. The peck on our impala looks like a bullet hole, it has not spread, but there is a crack on the corner that I have no idea how it started.

Dunno if glass is of any poorer quality or not, I do know there are complaints that ppg is NOT quality like it used to be.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
I had a rock crack my 2012 Impala windshield a few days after I bought it. Originally replaced with a PPG windshield and it was crap - had "waves" in the glass that drove me crazy. Had it replaced with a Pilkington windshield and that was fine.

So yeah, PPG (now PGW, I think) is NOT what it used to be...

AAA also replaces windshields pretty cheap if you have AAA (and I know they used Pilkington back when I looked into it - at least for the 8th gen Impalas).

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Our 15 Impala had a small star crack from a rock a couple years ago. Pissed me off. USAA paid Safelite to come out and do a repair. Most of it looks invisible now but you can still see it, although it's small.
Sucks you can't keep things looking new forever but oh well.

·
Registered
883 Posts
i'm on 3rd windshield in my 14. dont use safelite. there are other threads i put on this forum about details but they are so inept its not funny. i think 3 or 4 major issues i had with them

one thing you gotta do with anyone is sit in the car after they install and look very carefully before signing!

i was behind a salt truck today and nowhere to pull over and was lucky nothing else cracked. but with 165K on the car i've been lucky to only have 3 windshields i guess :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts