Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2003 Impala 3400 ran hot, found that i needed a radiator. Replaced that and discovered coolant was leaking out from somewhere, saw spots in the drive way after driving it. Finally got up under to see where the leak was coming from and it the transmission pan. i pulled my dip stick and it dripped like water. How bad of shape am i in, repair or replace?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
What is the mileage on the car? If its a cracked head you could look into a 3500 top swap from milzymotorsports.com could possibly be the lower intake manifold gasket tho.

Reactions: toniejack

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
No, but I've heard of internal transmission cooler in the radiator that could have busted, but I'm not sure if a base model would have this. Someone else could chime in on this like maybe kingnuttin.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
What color is the trans fluid and what is the level? Were you having trans problems before car overheated?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
me and my uncle took another look, he pointed out to me that my freeze/salt or soft plug was leaking by the firewall. which makes sense and he also told me the reason my tranny fluid was so thin because it needs changed.

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
That makes more sense

·
Registered
214 Posts
Coolent in the transmions fluid has nothing to do with a cracked head. If you needed a new radiator that could have been your problem. Change the tranny fluid and go from there. Keep an eye on the color and levels for awhile.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
He already replaced the radiator so, old trans fluid and the freeze plug makes sense. Not sure what the freeze plug is made of so ...

Agree: Keep an eye on all fluid levels for some time, even if you think you solved the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts