Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am buying a 65 Impala SS.
It has the 327 / 300hp engine - 4 speed trans.
Currently Regal Red with a white vinyl top. Was the white vinyl top even available from the factory in 65?
Also- anyone with a vinyl top..... what does the seam look like where it meets the top of the window trim chrome?
Kind of looks like this has some form of caulk along it. Hope it isn't done improperly.
Current owner says both are original but I highly doubt it.
Fischer plate shows the following...

04C < 3rd week of April
ST - 65-16637 < Sport Coupe
TR - 862-6 <Saddle Interior
Body 12026 < 12,026 made in Arlington, TX
Paint SS-6 < ???? Sierra Tan with Black Vinyl? Is that what it means?
C60 - Factory A/C

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks-
Ryan

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
So I am buying a 65 Impala SS.
It has the 327 / 300hp engine - 4 speed trans.
Currently Regal Red with a white vinyl top. Was the white vinyl top even available from the factory in 65?
Also- anyone with a vinyl top..... what does the seam look like where it meets the top of the window trim chrome?
Kind of looks like this has some form of caulk along it. Hope it isn't done improperly.
Current owner says both are original but I highly doubt it.
Fischer plate shows the following...

04C < 3rd week of April
ST - 65-16637 < Sport Coupe
TR - 862-6 <Saddle Interior
Body 12026 < 12,026 made in Arlington, TX
Paint SS-6 < ???? Sierra Tan with Black Vinyl? Is that what it means?
C60 - Factory A/C

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks-
Ryan

I can't answer your question if white vinyl tops were available on the 1965 models. Black vinyl tops were very poplar then.

From the factory, the vinyl top was stretched over the top of the roof, and the front windshield garnish molding was snapped-on, with the top material tucked under the molding. Usually, there were two seams, one on each side, running from the front of the windshield to the rear backlight.

I do not recall caulking being applied to the top, where it meets the windshield molding.

My first car, at age 16, was a 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 2-door, no vinyl top.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can't answer your question if white vinyl tops were available on the 1965 models. Black vinyl tops were very poplar then.

From the factory, the vinyl top was stretched over the top of the roof, and the front windshield garnish molding was snapped-on, with the top material tucked under the molding. Usually, there were two seams, one on each side, running from the front of the windshield to the rear backlight.

I do not recall caulking being applied to the top, where it meets the windshield molding.

My first car, at age 16, was a 1965 Chevrolet Chevelle Malibu 2-door, no vinyl top.

Yeah- it is tucked up front at the windshield- but appears to be caulked along the rain channels above the side windows. 2 seams as you mention.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts