Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2005 chevy impala and want to put corvette rims on it. i only want to put 17" on it but will they be to wide? and what size tires will i need to get without messing with the speedometer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If you put a size that differs from OEM will affect you speedometer. I you really want to change tire size you can get your speedometer calibrated.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
bolt pattern and offset arent even close, you'll have to find a knock off set w/ a 115x5 bp and offset around 35 (30-40 should work fine)
As far as tire size,
Mine came stock w/ the 16" rims (225.60.16), i went w/ 17s (225.55.17) and there is BARELY any difference (.28mph @ 65), so little its not worth getting the pcm adjusted to compensate (unless you know someone who owns DHP or similar)
Tire size calc:
http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/brochure/info/tmpInfoTireMath.jsp

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hey Mr. 04DetroitLS,
What size offset and backspacing would you recomend for an 18" rim on a 2008 Impala LTZ?
I am buying the car right now and I will be lowering the car with an Eibach Pro Kit (1.5 drop all corners) and would like to have a nice set of wheels to go on the droped ride.
I was even thinking about having the new wheels (nice stock wheels by the way) that came with the car widened and then chromed. I am not sure what size they are other than 18". I cant find a width anywhere in the brocure. I am guessng 18x7 but not sure. I wanted to widen them to an 18x9 or just buy a new set of Boyds or Weld Evo's but again I am not sure of the proper BS, offset and width that will fit the car with NO ISSUES whatsoever.
Any help would be great man. Thanks! :smile:
Chad

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
no offense, i wouldnt sink the $ into widening & chroming the stockers, they'll be too heavy and for the price you could prob get a better set of after market ones or pick up the chrome SS @ a scrap yard. Check for some 05'ish Bonne SSEI or later Grand Prix 18s, the GPs are chrome 5 spoke style and nice, the bonne's have the same ri, put a matte finish

the 16x8s i have for my 255 50 16 (slicks) rub when i turn hard to make the trip down the return road @the thrack, so i wouldnt go too much wider than that.

check w. a tire shop, they should know how wide you can go w/o rubbing 4 sure

·
Registered
10 Posts
I spoke to a wheel dealer this week about the offset and backspacing for a 2008 Impala LTZ wheel.
He says that for an 18" or 20" wheel you need to have a 38mm to 42mm offset and a 6.25 backspacing.
This is info that I needed in order to purchase a new set of wheels and I have seen some other people on here looking for the same answers.
Feel free to do what I did, call a big wheel dealer (American Racing) and ask them for yourself.
Hope this helps out!
Chad

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey, IMPALASS_RIDER Your boat is slow.....

Hey, IMPALASS_RIDER Your boat is slow.....

My '08 Impala SS puts out 303 HP in stock form. With the magnaflow catback & K&N kit I have on the car that HP figure should be closer to 325. I'm knocking off low 5 second 0-60 times. If that boat you call an Impala is in stock form, then I guarantee You'll get your a** handed to you in a drag race. Next time get an education before spouting off senseless BS.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
hmmmmm seeing as how ur car is 12+ years newer i would hope it would win or it would be a useless pos...... and stock the impalas and my ( 9c1 ) ran low 6 sec 0- 60 times ..... im not saying that its faster im just sayng that the 0- 60 times were kinda close ....... but all in all a new ss should win

1 - 9 of 9 Posts