Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my rear end changed from the standard to a 3-something or other (I'm not the most technical person). ANYWAY... now it seems as though my speedometer is reading a faster speed than I am going.

One of my friends has a Mustang and he said something about there is a gear ratio on the speedometer, so when he changed the rear end, he had to change the gears in the speedometer (or something like that; I quit listening after "mustang").

Is there something like that on the Impala? If not, I'm open to suggestions on how to fix it.

Thanks

·
Registered
288 Posts
You just need to re-program your PCM for the gear ratio you now have. But you need to know- "3 something or other" isn't really narrowing it down a whole lot. Did you get the ABS reluctor at the same time as the gears so your ABS still works?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Wow..everywhere there is a bias...who cares, really?

Anywho...On mustangs (and most other fords) there's a gear in the tranny that you'd change, blah blah.
Sounds like your friend knows just enough to be dangerous.

As far as our B-bodies..I have no idea.

I don't expect any empathy, considering this IS a GM car forum...but i'm kinda sick of the whole "Mustangs are crap" mentality, as well as every other car make and model there is.

I've had stangs, camaros, chevies, dodges, fords you name it, i've owned or drove 'em, and not one was any damned better than any of the rest.

But hell, wt do i know...i have ford in my user name. :rolleyes::tongue:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You just need to re-program your PCM for the gear ratio you now have. But you need to know- "3 something or other" isn't really narrowing it down a whole lot. Did you get the ABS reluctor at the same time as the gears so your ABS still works?
Its a 373 as podeveryday says. And, as a matter of fact, I don't think it was because the ABS light is on, and I saw it slide when the oil change tech pulled it in. The fronts locked up. I didn't notice the rears.

A lil off subject, but hows the new rear feel? I was told switchin to 373 gears would make it feel like a 50hp gain.
The difference I've noticed is, instead of being pushed one handed into my seat, its a full force two hand shove. If you are considering it, it's worth it.

Wow..everywhere there is a bias...who cares, really?

Anywho...On mustangs (and most other fords) there's a gear in the tranny that you'd change, blah blah.
Sounds like your friend knows just enough to be dangerous.

As far as our B-bodies..I have no idea.

I don't expect any empathy, considering this IS a GM car forum...but i'm kinda sick of the whole "Mustangs are crap" mentality, as well as every other car make and model there is.

I've had stangs, camaros, chevies, dodges, fords you name it, i've owned or drove 'em, and not one was any damned better than any of the rest.

But hell, wt do i know...i have ford in my user name. :rolleyes::tongue:
I like giving my friend, as well as everyone else, a hard time. The only car I've ever been really in to is my Impala. I've had a few friends that had Mustangs, and I gave them hell. So if I'm going to do it in person, I'll do it online. The only cars and car owners that I really don't respect are riced out anything. If you're into Mustangs, or whatever, that's cool.

As far as my friend, he has two, has done engine swaps, etc. He knows what he's doing. If I said something wrong, it was me being wrong, not him.

But he does know just enough to be dangerous. :biggrin:

·
Registered
303 Posts
As mentioned before, you need to have your PCM reprogrammed for the speedo to read correctly and the trans to shift at the right times. Most custom tuners have a low cost package to just do those changes, but a full tune is worth the extra money. It will give you more bang for the buck than the gears. Check out www.pcmperformance.com . I used them and am very satisfied with the results and the price.

You may also want to check out an OBD-I conversion and an interface cable (like I did) if you are planning more mods and would like to upload your changes quickly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As mentioned before, you need to have your PCM reprogrammed for the speedo to read correctly and the trans to shift at the right times. Most custom tuners have a low cost package to just do those changes, but a full tune is worth the extra money. It will give you more bang for the buck than the gears. Check out www.pcmperformance.com . I used them and am very satisfied with the results and the price.

You may also want to check out an OBD-I conversion and an interface cable (like I did) if you are planning more mods and would like to upload your changes quickly.

I don't know enough to make me dangerous, just enough to screw things up really bad. Is PCMperformance like Super Chips or entirely different?

·
Registered
288 Posts
There is no "chip" to be added like with some of the older cars. You send PCM4less your PCM and they put a new program in it and send it back. There are other options, which I'm sure if you looked at their website, would be offered.

·
Registered
626 Posts
As said above, getting a tune is a great bang for the buck upgrade. Who did your gears? A shop that should have known about the reluctor or not?

·
Super Moderator
3,941 Posts
I will echo the pcmperformance.com recommendation and as said a retune is a good mod even besides being needed to correct the gear ratio.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Another option is Trifectaperformance.com, in the vendor section here. Contact Vince and he will hook you up. The main difference with them is he will send you the tuner and you reprogram your PCM and then send the tuner back. It is very easy and works great.

If your ABS light is on you need the 3.73 relector gear too. Who ever did your gears should have done the relector gear at the same time, that is a rookie mistake. They go hand in hand.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As said above, getting a tune is a great bang for the buck upgrade. Who did your gears? A shop that should have known about the reluctor or not?
It was actually one of the mechanics that works for my company, but he has a ricer (without all the outside rice-bling) so I'm thinking that he might know. I haven't had a chance to ask him about it. I'll do that this week.

The other thing I was thinking about the light being on is that when we sent it to the frame shop to get straightened out, they may have unplugged something so the ABS isn't reading right. Its like the light isn't on at first, but about 30 seconds or so, it will come on.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Its like the light isn't on at first, but about 30 seconds or so, it will come on.
If you do not have the 3.73 reluctor gear installed that is how the system works. You have to get up to speed, around 35-45 mph, before the system senses there is a problem. I know, because when I had my 3.73s installed the shop didn't install a 3.73 reluctor gear. I left the shop and once I got to around 40mph +- a few, I got the ABS light.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If you do not have the 3.73 reluctor gear installed that is how the system works. You have to get up to speed, around 35-45 mph, before the system senses there is a problem. I know, because when I had my 3.73s installed the shop didn't install a 3.73 reluctor gear. I left the shop and once I got to around 40mph +- a few, I got the ABS light.
Then I guess I need that reluctor. Thanks for the info.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts