Impala Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2002 Impala 3400, all mods listed in signature with 121xxx miles is having an issue. Randomly my "low coolant level" light has been comming on intermittently. It started out only coming on when I started the car every now and again and going off after a few seconds. Now it comes on every time I drive the car. Its only been coming on every day while driving for less than a week, but was randomly showing upon start for a month or so. My cooling level is spot on weather at operating temp or cold. My oil level is also spot on with 1500 miles till my next oil change. I am still running dex-cool coolant. It could use a flush with a new thermostat. I do not suspect it to be a lim or head gasket, since there is no leak and my fluid levels are fine. I am leaning towards the coolant level sensor but I do not want to throw parts at it without a diagnosis. I have purged or burped the cooling system of air already. My heat works fine at operating temp and I have not come close to overheating. Any other ideas to check before I replace the sensor?

·
I eat brains... gimme brains!
658 Posts
I see a new temp sensor and thermostat in your future... then the problem will go away..
Just a little warning; changing the thermostat on the 3400 is a pain in the ass

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
I second the temp sensor also... Hell with the thermostat, if everything like the heat and the engine cooling system is fully functional already, i wouldnt worry about changing it at the moment, save a headache if you can, but changing it really isnt too bad either.

Reactions: SCOTTYINWV

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The temp sensor causing a low coolant light? I figured it would be the coolant level sensor on the radiator?

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Still running original dex-cool? That you know of? Ouch

1. Get a flush
2. Drain coolant
3. Replace thermostat (gasket too obv), temp sensor, level sensor
4. Fill and bleed

Can be done relatively cheaply and really should have been done already :eek:k3:

I cannot tell you how many times I have seen this with a GM running original dexcool WAY past its life (100k supposedly but, would recommend 60-80k)

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Slow your role there folks, how the hell would the temp sensor effect the coolant level warning? I have dealt with this issue, trust me, it's a bad coolant level sensor. Get a delco though, the aftermarket ones don't hold up well. Our last remaining 7th gen is having this issue, but I'm the only one who drives it now, so I ignore it.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, and Thanks king I was waiting to you to chime in I was almost positive it was level sensor. I wanted a 2nd opinion. G25 ill be doing the following Next t week. Once again Thanks guys

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Slow your role there folks, how the hell would the temp sensor effect the coolant level warning? I have dealt with this issue, trust me, it's a bad coolant level sensor. Get a delco though, the aftermarket ones don't hold up well. Our last remaining 7th gen is having this issue, but I'm the only one who drives it now, so I ignore it.
Yeah IDK where they got that idea. Still I think replacing the temp sensor also is a good idea as they tend to gum up and give false readings. Or a cleaning at minimum which, would require taking it out so, why not just replace for $10-15? Right

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm doing to do thermostat, temp sensor and level sensor. All the 1 time.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
I'm doing to do thermostat, temp sensor and level sensor. All the 1 time.
Gotcha. Makes sense to do them all at once and get it over with.

·
Storm Trooper Ralf
4,334 Posts
Very easy job. Get a new throttle body gasket, i say this because doing this job is way easy with the throttle.body out of the way, good luck man!

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Very easy job. Get a new throttle body gasket, i say this because doing this job is way easy with the throttle.body out of the way, good luck man!
Not familiar with the base model (3.4) setup so can't comment on this. Replacing my temp sensor was a pita though as it's below the thermostat housing and coolant hose. Had to use an open end wrench and only able to move a tiny bit at a time.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Deep socket and a long extension, very easy. The thermostat is still a pain though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts