Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is the second b-body i've owned where someone has bypassed the cooling fans to stay on all the time or by toggle switch ?? what is the cause of them having to do this , my 94 ss is my baby and i plan on keeping it a while and want to know how do i fix this or if someone could point in the right direction that would be great also, from what i can tell fuses and relays are all there and seem to be working

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Some people do it just because they want a cooler running car. I think hypertech makes a kit for it as well with a toggle. There are 2 cooling fan relays in the fuse block under the hood. Trace the wires and see where they spliced into it, you should be able to undo what was done.

Sometimes they also do it if they do not want to replace a sensor that may be bad that controls them.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
my car is wired for the fans running all the time believe me u dont want ur car to run w/o those fans i just relized my wiring was old on mine and had to redo it ( long road trip and thermo was reading hott ) i didnt think about it for a while luckily it was night time so the air was cool...... but like angel said it might have also been a sensor someone didnt want to replace:biggrin:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Some people do it just because they want a cooler running car. I think hypertech makes a kit for it as well with a toggle. There are 2 cooling fan relays in the fuse block under the hood. Trace the wires and see where they spliced into it, you should be able to undo what was done.

Sometimes they also do it if they do not want to replace a sensor that may be bad that controls them.
it looks like they spliced into the main wiring at the fan connectors and just ran a wire up to the fuse block to a fuse thats hot all the time

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my car is wired for the fans running all the time believe me u dont want ur car to run w/o those fans i just relized my wiring was old on mine and had to redo it ( long road trip and thermo was reading hott ) i didnt think about it for a while luckily it was night time so the air was cool...... but like angel said it might have also been a sensor someone didnt want to replace:biggrin:
yea no doubt i know how much heat that engine makes i dont want it to not work just only kick on when its suppose to , mainly cause the heat on in the inside doesnt get as hott as it should when in heat or defog mode

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
thats exactly how mine was ran into a hott fuse u can also have it saudered i believe

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
it looks like they spliced into the main wiring at the fan connectors and just ran a wire up to the fuse block to a fuse thats hot all the time

Ok, I would undo that hot wire. Next, start the car and turn on your air conditioner and see if one or both fans come on. If one or both come on, turn off the a/c and let it run and see if the fans come on at running temp. Use a heat gun and aim it at the neck of the thermostat housing next to the bleeder valve to check the temp. The fans should turn on right around 220 degrees.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
if its hott wired neither would come on would they if he pulls that wire

and yeah if my car wasnt pushing 250000 id be more worried about the fans being wired right but hey shit stays cool 4 me :biggrin:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Oic I Started My Car When My Wire Was Pulled But I Didnt Turn My Ac On....

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
i realize that im just telling u that i didnt do that while my wire was pulled

·
Registered
288 Posts
The electric fan relays are mounted in a pretty crappy location and get too hot and go bad (they also melt the terminals underneath them.) There is a TSB about it, where they basically relocate the relays outside of the fuse box under the hood. I'd bet if you guys pull your relays, the terminals are burned up.

Gary at Innovative wiring has a few kits to choose from that correct this problem, and as usual, are top notch.
http://www.innovativewiring.com/ChevyProductPage2/ChevyCarsPage2/ChevyImpalaPage.htm
You'll have to scroll down the page until you get to the fan relay kits. Some people like to have them (along with an electric water pump) hooked up to a toggle switch so they can cool their engines between runs at the track.

Sounds like you guys need to get acquanted with Gary and see if he's up for a group buy.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
:biggrin:i did the pulling the wire out and turning the a/c on and it worked i guess the previous owner didnt think the leaky radiator , hole in lower rad hose ,stuck t-stat and low coolant was a part of the overheating issue :biggrin:
plus i just now found out my cluster in the dash is bad the only thing that works is the speedo lol :biggrin:

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
lol nice just speed huh its a digital huh??

1 - 20 of 28 Posts