Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello
I am new here wonding if someone knows about this problem. I have a 95 impala that is over heating. The cooling fans are coming on but not until it starts to over heat. I took the car into a shop and the guy at hte shop says the fans turn on at 229 degrees and shut off at 219 degrees. It looks like its over heating but its not. Thats what the guy at the shop told me and it didnt sound right to me can someone help

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
This is the wrong section, but to answer the question the mechanic is right. GM tuned our cars very high for the fans to come on just short of the red mark. Why is beyond me, but its perfectly normal. You can retune for the fans to come on at a much lower temp. My tune has the fans to cut on at a little over 180-190 degrees. HTH...:beer:

Reactions: gackman

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Thread moved.

·
Drinks Gasoline
237 Posts
You might want to check your cooling system pressure, you might have an internal-engine leak and with the lower pressure it may not work quite right.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The guy at the shop did that he said it was fine. I was thinking should I hook up a manual fan switch? Or put a thermastat that runs cooler like 160 degrees? :dunno:

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Best bet is a tune to turn the fans on at a lower temp.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Crime Scene

yeah i was talking to Crime Scene about that im going to give it a go and see what happens ill keep you all up to date and thanks again.:eek:k3::beer:

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
I posted on the moved thread already, but on these cars, if it is coming on just as the needle hits the red, the fans are working right. You can tune it to come on earlier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So I got the new thermastat in today and it made a difference but I wish I could do some more to get the fans to kick on sooner.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Tune is it man.

·
Registered
171 Posts
If I am not mistaken, changing the stat to 160º is not going to make a difference unless you tune your PCM.

·
Every 2nd Matters
5,455 Posts
No, it will make a difference, because you are opening the coolant flow earlier, thus helping it cool sooner.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Only if you're moving, at idle it won't matter. It's like doing half the job.

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
The primary fan should come on just above the 1/2 way mark, then shutoff just under the 1/2 way mark. the secondary won't come on until just before the first red mark. If all is working correctly, you should never see the sec. fan come on. ....meaning , it should never get that hot. Just becauce the prim. fan is turning doesn't mean it moving enough air.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
A colder stat will let the car run cooler when moving, pushing air across the radiator.

IMO adding a separate aftermarket switch is just stupid. It cost half what a tune does but accomplishes maybe 10% as much as a tune does, plus adds another potential failure point.

Plus just about anything from JET is junk not a company you want to do business with. The only OK product I know of them having is the OBD2 LT1 pcm software but they just bought someone else's software and screwed it up some so they could make a buck off it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Then just drill the tstat, that will keep the coolant flowing all the time. It wont be by much but the temps will stay down and stay consistent, it's common practice in the L67s.

·
Super Moderator
3,946 Posts
The down side is it can slow warmup which i say short tripping in a cold climate would be a hassle.

Maybe I am just thinking of that because I have a 6.5 mile drive and well it is still so cold we got a full covering of snow today.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
The down side is it can slow warmup which i say short tripping in a cold climate would be a hassle.

Maybe I am just thinking of that because I have a 6.5 mile drive and well it is still so cold we got a full covering of snow today.
Agreed, if your trips are short a drilled t-stat will just cause you to freeze to death on the way to work. I am not sure how easy/hard it is to change the T-stat on these but, I am sure it's easier than on my 3.8. So, that being said I would run a drilled t-stat in the warmer months and switch to a standard stat in colder months. Or, get a tune a lower temp t-stat. On most cars when you drop below a 180degree t-stat you have to get a tune anyway. At least that's what is recommended on the 3.8l.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts