Impala Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Go Get It
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've developed a fairly substantial coolant leak. I'm not sure what type of coolant the PO was using. I suspect she used dexcool as she said she took it to the dealership for most maintenance. I don't want to mix dexcool with the green stuff, but no matter what I put in, I'm running that risk.

Advice?

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Is the coolant pink or green?

·
Go Get It
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was drained by the time the light came on. Water comes out brown.

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
I would say its dex cool. It turns brown like this. Make sure to do a flush either way.

Attachments

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Yup get a flush at a quick lube. Then, drain coolant, replace thermostat and gasket, fill with prestone.

You cant visually see the leak? Check oil level also.

·
Go Get It
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oil is fine just changed it and I can't see the leak.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Oil is fine just changed it and I can't see the leak.

You checked the oil level correct?

Any funny exhaust smell as in it smells sweet?

·
Go Get It
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah oil level is good. Actually only took 3.5 quarts, but I triple checked it and its good. Yes I checked it warm. I've tried looking for the leak underneath but the air dam is in the way. Haven't had time to take an extended look at it

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
^^ Wait until it's light out and do a thorough inspection of the radiator, hoses, overflow tank, etc.

I agree with stephen, finding the source should be first. As long as you have enough coolant in your overflow the radiator will suck it in and you should be fine. Don't fill with water or prestone unless you plan to do a flush soon after. Which, I would recommend anyways. If the coolant is brown like you said I would also replace the thermostat and gasket at a minimum as it has likely clogged it up. If your temp gauge starts acting up later down the line your coolant temp sensor has likely suffered the same problem and should be replaced also.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Also check your coolant elbows. Google 3800 coolant elbows. Doorman now makes a metal version of these. Part #47065HP or 47065 for the plastic ones.

Ask me why I know about this problem! I replaced them just a month or two back on my 150K motor. Check utube video on how to do it. Its fairly easy with regular mechanic tools.

·
Go Get It
15,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Leak is coming from the front of the car, drivers side. Makes me think its the rad

·
LIFETIME HILLBILLY
6,197 Posts
Is your drain plug light?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts