Impala Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2002 impala 3.8
211000 miles

I replaced both upper and lower intake gaskets over a month ago and lve been noticing a very slow drop in the coolant level. The air bleed screw on my cooling system has been stuck so l did my best at bleeding the air out by parking on an incline, pulling off the radiator cap, and letting the air bubble out. I did this for about 20 minutes a couple weeks ago and since then the level in the reservoir tank dropped about an inch. Im not sure if this is from any leftover air working its way out or a leak in the intake. There are no external leaks anywhere and no drops on the ground while idling or after parking. There is absolutely zero evidence of any oil leaking into the the cooling system because it still looks new and lm not seeing anything on the oil dipstick or thru the filler neck. Theres no white smoke blasting out of the tailpipe either.

Any ideas what might be causing this if its a problem at all. It runs absolutely great. Im a little stuck on this.:dunno:

Its due for an oil change in about 1500 miles and if I see any milkshakes in the oil that should be a dead give away but thats a ways off still. Any input would be great!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Turns out a coolant elbow was leaking but only when l revved the engine. That would explain why l never saw any drops on the ground. For future reference if you ever plan on replacing your intake manifold gaskets REPLACE THE COOLANT ELBOWS!!

·
OEM LOL
3,804 Posts
Yeah apparently they go quite often.

Alot of aftermarket company's make aluminum ones for the impala to fix the problem with the plastic ones
You might wanna look into them

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Dorman makes some, and zzp has some, pretty cheap insurance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got some new PLASTIC ones. Ive done this before so I will now be replacing replacement parts. Any idea where I can get these aluminum ones at?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts