Impala Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been getting some condensation under the oil fill cap on my new (to me) 2013 impala so I've been watching the coolant. Never went off the mark until today. It was 7 degrees and -9 with wind chill. The coolant level "dropped" about a half inch in the resevoir. Is it normal for it to contract that much? Anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Condensation on the oil cap is not uncommon.
I would not worry about your coolant level going down unless the bottle is becoming empty.
You could have your oil tested and that will let you know if you are getting coolant in it.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I've been getting some condensation under the oil fill cap on my new (to me) 2013 impala so I've been watching the coolant. Never went off the mark until today. It was 7 degrees and -9 with wind chill. The coolant level "dropped" about a half inch in the resevoir. Is it normal for it to contract that much? Anyone else seen this?

Wind chill will not affect a motor vehicle - actual temperature is what matters.

When an engine heats up - engine coolant expands and can be pushed into the coolant reservoir. When the engine cools, the expanded coolant is drawn back into the radiator and cooling system - thus the small drop in coolant level in the reservoir.

It is normal for the level to go up and down - up to several inches.

The condensation under the oil fill cap may be caused by short-trip driving in very cold weather. I could remove the cap, clean it well - and see if the condensation returns. Do you make short trips, so the engine doesn’t fully warm-up?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do a good amount of short trip driving. Have wiped it out and drove it about 50 miles on the highway at 65-70 and it actually seems worse. When I open the oil fill cap its actually steaming. I'm thinking I may have a pcv issue. No milky dipstick or any symptoms of coolant getting in the oil

1 - 4 of 4 Posts