Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have coolant leaking from near the hoses at the back of the engine but i replaced the hoses and its still doing it, heres a picture of where the coolant is squirting onto, and its going onto hot parts of the engine and its smoking and you can smell it when you stop driving and sometimes the engine temp over past half way

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
maybe you have a loose cap? did you check for cracks or holes in the tank, maybe not at the level of the coolant, but on the upper part, it could be coming out of those holes when you hit bumps or on turns.

·
Registered
1 Posts
coolant leak

Based on your photo and the area indicated your leak is at the 90 degree elbow that comes out the block into a bracket. It serves as a bypass for the coolant. Use a rented pressure tester from Autozone to confirm the leak. You can buy the elbow in the help section at Autozone. Over time it become brittle and the tips crack or break from heat and the o-ring on the end no longer can seal. It cost about $10. This involves quite abit of work to disassemble and install this part. A fair amount of stuff to move. Study it and if you are fairly mechanically inclined you can do it. Be about it and let me know.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah i saw it leaking out of the elbow, its a cheap little plastic elbow but it takes a lot of work to put it on, so me and my dad are doing it this weekend, and for now we used jb weld on it lol

·
Registered
557 Posts
well... chances are the o-ring on the elbow is pinched or whatnot, so when you replace the elbow, put some grease on the o-ring so it slides into place easier

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah did it and now it doesnt seem to be leaking coolant, is the temp supposed to be 2 to the left of half way? or does it sometimes move around a bit?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with the with the leak at the 90 degree elbow. Would this cause the car to have no heat as well? It looks like i'll need to remove the generator and some other parts. Does anyone know exactly how to install this elbow? I have a 04 impala 3.8

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have coolant leaking from near the hoses at the back of the engine but i replaced the hoses and its still doing it, heres a picture of where the coolant is squirting onto, and its going onto hot parts of the engine and its smoking and you can smell it when you stop driving and sometimes the engine temp over past half way

I just presure tested and fornd the 90 degree slbow spraying coolant like a burst water pipe. Was it hard to fix and how did you do it? Thank you so much

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It can cause the heat to not work, when the coolant level gets low it can create an air pocket that can get stuck in the heater core.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts