Impala Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What's going on guys? I have a 2012 Impala with 94,000 miles on it. For the past month or so(longer) I have noticed that my coolant is leaking but I can't seem to find where it's coming from. The only reason I would know its low on coolant because the engine would start to get loud and the temperature gauge would go up but would say in between the middle and the "H". I have checked the oil and it's not milky at all so I don't know what it could be.

Today I took another look around the engine and noticed that it's wet on the left bottom side. A friend of mine said it looks wet as well but more so like oil but I'm not losing oil(I think).

Any help?

·
Registered
588 Posts
You may not be leaking Oil, However if it is the wet spot your talking about on the Tranny. I would look into replacing your Axle Shaft Seal. Also at the same time I would look at your CV Half Shaft Assembly and make sure it is still intact and not leaking. If it is starting to leak or has some extra play I would change that out at the sametime... I know that don't help your Coolant level issue. Sadly I don't see anything in that picture that would be related to your coolant...

What you could do is get a Pressure Testing system, Fill your water up, and pump up the system and check the pressure. At the same time you will be able to look over your car and it could be as simple as your Hose going into the Heater Core in or out. I have seen many times over my life of working on cars they can have a crack in the hose and hard to find unless you are under hood looking over your system Mainly because people turn the heat off when looking for coolant issues so it don't show any signs... Not saying it is common issue in Impala's but all makes can have the issue... Doing a Pressure Test will tell you where you leak is. Hope it isn't in your Intake...

James

·
Registered
588 Posts
I am sorry I don't want it to seem like that is your problem. It was just a comment in that I hope it isn't the issue. I am not sure that is even an issue in a Impala of your year.

Most common leak is from the hoses on your year impala and or an issue with your Reservoir leaking. Sorry i shouldn't have added that last part of my first post. Main reason was that it didn't seem to be something you could ID so I thought maybe one has come up.

Again Best thing would be to get something to test the Pressure of your cooling system. Also make sure you are using Coolant and not Water as water can make it seem like you have a leak. Like say there was a problem with your cooling system but problem was fixed someone only added water to system. Then your system could over time have loss of water by water being at high temps. Also make sure if your car is still with Dex Cool to keep it with don't mix the 2 different coolants.

James

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Hello Kenyon6279,

We apologize for the unexpected concern with your Impala. Ifyou would like for us to look into this further, and reach out to yourdealership, please let us know in a private message! Be sure to include yourVIN, current mileage, contact information and preferred dealership.

Bret B.
GM Customer Care

·
Registered
28 Posts
Many impalas leak water and nobody seemed to know where. I had to retighten the ground on the fire wall for the fan. I had to do the intake manifold as water was getting in the oil. Not to mention a ton of other things. Control arms tie rods rack N pinion etc etc. My advise on the coolant is to check the return hose from the heater into the intake. The O Ring there could be leaking like mine did. I replaced it several times before pushing down on the metal bracket that secures to the block and the issue was resolved. (This would be the hose to metal tube to the intake) Be sure to fill the radiator several days May take an inch a day until it needs no more. Issue solved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts