Impala Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I usually replace the engine coolant every 30k miles or so. I know that by draining the radiator, only about 1/2 of the c total coolant comes out. Does my car have a radiator petcock, or did GM eliminate that some time ago? Do you have to pull off the lower radiator hose to drain the coolant? How much is needed to refill the system on the 3.9 liter V6 engine?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Yes, the radiator has the petcock - on the passenger side. It's plastic, so be careful if hand tools are brought into play.

IIRC, the recommendation with the DexCool is to change every 100,000 miles (hmmm, or is it 150,000 - I'm getting the fan belt and the coolant recommendations confused).

At any rate, I changed mine recently - at 140,000 miles. Also changed the thermostat which required removing the lower radiator hose port on the engine. The coolant was still very clear and clean, so wasn't too concerned about getting everything out.

Had bought two gallons of DexCool, didn't get too far into the second gallon after the 50/50 dilution. The shop manual lists the V6's as having a 10.1 quart capacity and the V8 as 13.3 quart - so I figured I changed at least 80%. Had a good chuckle at the shop manual's recommendation to use clear drinkable water - instead of distilled or deionized/demineralized water.

Reactions: impalafaned
1 - 2 of 2 Posts