Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little background first...I had the catalytic converter replaced on my '01 Impala and got to drive it for about a week with no problems before the transmission started slipping(fluid is full, so it's not because it's low). It's not bad yet, but sometimes it takes a second or 30 for first gear to engage. My guess is, it'll need to be replaced by this summer. At that time I'd like to put a manual transmission in it instead of another automatic(I HATE automatic transmissions...this is only my second car to have one).

My question is, how much am I looking at if I have a shop do this work for me? I've replaced automatic transmissions before with my grandpa, but I've never converted one to manual. Would it be extremely difficult to do this work with my grandpa(he's never done this either, but it was his car before it was mine, so he at least knows the car)? Any help or experiences with this process would be extremely helpful.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Get A B Body !!!!

well when it comes to front wheel drive u have to ask yourself is it worth it ..... no...!!! lol anyways like he said there so much work involved in that you might as well get a 6th gen and go for bad lol at least then u can burn your tires and still go in a straight line lmao good luck let us know what happens

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't want to race this car(I thought about it at first, but nah, not worth it), so making it a stick shift is just for my pleasure(better on gas, more fun to drive, tranny will last way longer as a manual, etc). As for burnouts, my grandpa just gave me his old '87 Monte Carlo SS(not in great shape at all, but definitely worth fixing up), so in time that'll be all I need! Mainly I'm just trying to find out the price difference...I'm going to need a new transmission either way it goes, so the way I see it I may as well pay the extra for a transmission I'm going to like for years to come.

·
Super Moderator
7,056 Posts
I believe you will need to have the PCM reprogrammed for the manual tranny as well. For the PCM will throw the "Check Engine" lamp when it realizes that it can not lock up the torque converter.

I love to drive manual trannys as well. Sadly both my vehicles have automatics.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe some help???

Ive actually done an insane amount of time looking around hoping for answers for this. The 2002 Holden Commodore has the same engine (3800 series 2) as the 2000-2005 Impala LS. They offered many cars of that kind with a manual transmission. Maybe an easier swap than previously thought????

1 - 7 of 7 Posts