Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have 22" rims on their chev? Was thinking og getting some for my 13' LT.

Heres the thing. I got kids in the back and we get quite a few groceries and other stuff that would go in the trunk. Worried about rubbing back tires on wheel wells.

Can anyone tell me their negative edperiences with 22" rims?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
The biggest con I can think of is making your car look as ridiculous as this...

·
Registered
752 Posts
You can't really ask anyone on this forum about rims bigger than 20" or else you'll get those kind of responses all day.

To be real, you'll most likely be fine with the 22's and people in the rear, I see a countless number of impala's around here with 22's, you may have to bang your rear top strut plate up outta the way a little more but other than that you should be fine with 22's.

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
I do think that twenties fit the car really nicely and fill up the wheel well. You already know the twenty two's will somewhat decrease ride quality and if you're in a snow area, snow traction. I definitely wouldn't go larger than 22 though. I think if you get larger than twenty twos, you're going to be getting real concerned about every pothole. I'm already concerned with twenties........ generally though, I think you'll be fine with 22s and can balance the aesthetic positives to you with the negatives. But in the end you're the one who needs to look at your car.... and every time you look at it, you don't want to think, "I should have gone with 22s". If that's what your heart is set on, go with it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do think that twenties fit the car really nicely and fill up the wheel well. You already know the twenty two's will somewhat decrease ride quality and if you're in a snow area, snow traction. I definitely wouldn't go larger than 22 though. I think if you get larger than twenty twos, you're going to be getting real concerned about every pothole. I'm already concerned with twenties........ generally though, I think you'll be fine with 22s and can balance the aesthetic positives to you with the negatives. But in the end you're the one who needs to look at your car.... and every time you look at it, you don't want to think, "I should have gone with 22s". If that's what your heart is set on, go with it.
Good points from everybody.

Well I see these videos of guys with 22" Iroc rims. Youtube it. Damn they look sharp on the impala. However I think 20"s look great too.

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Like already mentioned, the biggest "cons" are going to be;

- Harsh ride (compared to 17"/18" wheels)
- You'd have to use extremely low profile tires - and you could easily bend/damage the tire and/or rim if you hit a pothole...
- You'd probably have to do quite a bit of "customization" in order to get them to fit properly (depending on offset, etc).
- Even simple things like large speed bumps could be problematic if the wheels stick out past the fenders - especially if you have weight in the trunk....

Lots and lots of cons, IMO. I'm not a fan of "big" wheels, but even if I were, I'm not so sure I'd put them on these cars - they just aren't designed for such a large wheel like some of the newer cars are.

Just my two cents!

Sent from my Hi10 pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
i know when the trucks go with the bigger wheels/tires they always suggest to go with a larger brake package. that extra wait of the wheel is going to make the brakes less responsive. plus i have to think the wheel bearings are not going to like you very much with that much more wheel (and ball joints).

·
Super Moderator
10,732 Posts
To clarify.....I personally would only go 18 on 8th gens and 20 on 9th gens...like yours........so your 22 on a 9th gen is not that far off from what i would do - if yours was an 8th gen and you were asking about 22s, I would try to dissuade you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Overall, the benefits of big wheels do not outweigh the cost. I had 22s on a Ford Fusion about 7 years ago, and after bending one and the weight of them destroying my joints, I will never go back to big rims. I would not go no bigger than 20s on my Impala.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
33 Posts
There's a huge difference between a donk and a vehicle with a plus sized wheel. Rule one, don't ask people who don't have 22's about 22's. Every word is tainted by assumption and bias and maybe a few other things.

Instagram pages and facebook groups tend to offer fewer of the veiled insults that come when asking about plus sized wheels. Do a search and you'll find pages dedicated to your gen.

detailed.JPG

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

New to this forum. I just bought a 2018 Impala LTZ Premier. Wanted to go to a 22 inch rim. I have the same color as your vehicle. By the way it looks damn good. I was wondering what size do you have on yours rim and tires? Thanks

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I tend to be fairly conservative on things like bigger wheels.
I am a fan of doing things right so I'm not "that guy" causing an accident.

To do it right tends to cost a lot more $$$$ than just the wheels. You're probably looking at $2,000 or probably more in "incidentals"

The wheel bearings, steering joints, brakes, and suspension become a real concern when you go larger than 20 or so on the Epsilon Chassis Gen 9 Impala... The suspension is not just the struts and springs. Trailing and lateral arms need to be beefed up among other things. Even upgrading to stockish 18" wheels can be a challenge on the Gen 7 & 8 W-Chassis and that just requires the 18" compatible rear struts and springs along with the SS/LTZ trailing arms.

Wheel bearings, tie-rod-ends, and ball joints are just something you'll get to keep a close watch on and replace more often than you would with smaller lighter wheels and tires.

You can upgrade the brakes to around 13" and maybe larger for $$$$.

The W Chassis A-Arms, and rear lateral & trailing arms can be beefed up with aftermarket tubular parts. The Epsilon chassis can probably be beefed up in a similar manner. Having done just the tubular rear suspension mods I can tell you it's not cheap. If you want to maintain a safe vehicle, once you move to those wheel sizes, it's not an optional modification.

The lower spring perch on the struts may interfere with some tire/wheel choices. If you modify the stock struts you will adversely affect the ride quality and safe handling. Coil-Overs are an option that will not affect the safety and ride quality but again with the BUCKS $$$$.

Not to mention the fact that the rims and tires are ex$pen$ive $$$$.
Standard Comprehensive Insurance will not cover non-stock size wheels if you hammer them on a pothole, curb, or speed bump. You'll have to add a rider to your policy. $$$$$.
Once you do that they know you have larger wheels.
Insurance companies are run by weasels. They are not working for you even though you are paying them. If you have an accident they may force you to prove that the modified wheels and suspension weren't the causal factor before they cover the liability say nothing of the comp and collision claim to your lienholder.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2014 on 22's
The ride suffered a bit, not as bad as my Chrysler, potholes will ruin your day, also do not put the 44psi-50 that the tired are rated at, stay with the 34 that's recommended, I've had them on a year, love them, no other size to me would look right, and rides well enough for me to justify putting them on

·
Registered
2 Posts
There's a huge difference between a donk and a vehicle with a plus sized wheel. Rule one, don't ask people who don't have 22's about 22's. Every word is tainted by assumption and bias and maybe a few other things.

Instagram pages and facebook groups tend to offer fewer of the veiled insults that come when asking about plus sized wheels. Do a search and you'll find pages dedicated to your gen.

View attachment 139985
Hello,

New to this forum. I just bought a 2018 Impala LTZ Premier. Wanted to go to a 22 inch rim. I have the same color as your vehicle. By the way it looks damn good. I was wondering what size do you have on yours rim and tires? Thanks

·
Registered
775 Posts

View attachment 139985
That is a sexy car

·
Registered
2 Posts
i know when the trucks go with the bigger wheels/tires they always suggest to go with a larger brake package. that extra wait of the wheel is going to make the brakes less responsive. plus i have to think the wheel bearings are not going to like you very much with that much more wheel (and ball joints).
22s arent really heavier especially if aluminum..less rubber counters weight gain..I know I put mine one every spring and take them off in the fall

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a 2018 Impala Premier (24K miles) with the original 20" Bridgestone Protenza tires. Horrible road noise. Less noise on blacktop but horrible on lighter and concrete surfaces. All the reviews before purchasing said Impala Premier had a quiet cabin. I read the tire post in the Forum, but most were from 2014-2016. What's current for tires and rims to make that quiet touring ride?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts