Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Impala and a compact disc is stuck in the CD player.

I'm unsure of the make/model of CD player, as there are no external markings, but I'm 99% sure it's factory.

Here are pics:

It would be nice if these came with "eject pinholes" like all of my computer's CD and DVD drives do....

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Is it safe to assume the radio itself works? If so have you tried disconnecting the radio & plugging it back in? Just thinking it might reinitialise it or something.

In case you were not knowing like I was the radio is programmed with the VIN so no problem with a locked radio issue.. At least that is what everything I have read says.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just wanted to update...... I received the following answer via Private Message:
try unhooking your battery for about 30 seconds then hook it up and it should spit the cd out it will start making some clicking noises first so don't be alarmed.
This was the same advice I got from my wife's uncle, who is a Service Manager at a Chevy Dealership.

It didn't work the last time I tried it, but I thought "What the hell" and tried it again.

And it didn't work again. :sad7:

At this point I was pissed, so I unhooked the ground again.

I went back inside the house, grabbed a pair of my wife's expensive tweezers, and came back out. I felt around inside the CD player with them, and finally "saw" the problem. The CD was in the unit at an angle (instead of being perfectly horizontal).

There were these two silver "arms" that I think are probably supposed to sit *behind* the CD, and help push the CD out when you hit eject. One of them (left-hand side) was above the CD; the other (right-hand side) was below the CD.

I reached further in there with the tweezers, dug around a bit, and was finally able to get a good, firm grip. I then proceeded to tug the CD out. It took a few tries, and I scratched the bejeezus out of the CD doing it, but eventually, it [finally] came out. Stupid sing-along CD for the kids.....

Anyhow, I hooked the ground back up, and turned the radio on. It still worked, so I hadn't lost anything....

I tried to feed it another (pristine) CD, and it wouldn't take it. It made the God-awful "clicking" noise that the guy who replied to me by PM referred to. It also showed "Check CD Player" on the display. I tried it three different times, and it still wouldn't take a CD, so I gave up.

I was at the dealership a few days later, when I took it in for an oil change. The "real fixit" line was over a three hour wait, so I said "just an oil change, please" and was done in about half an hour.

When they brought my vehicle back, I mentioned the other, that I was in a hurry and didn't want to bother with it today, but inquired with whom I might speak about setting up an appt for later.

They referred me to the Service Manager, and I went in his office. I mentioned the issue, as well as the error code. He suggested I bring it in next week, and that they could get me started with the process of picking out a new unit.

I asked "Is there no diagnostic component to bringing it in?" He intimated that the units were essentially a black box to dealership service depts, and that the "Check CD Player" code was [thus] essentially a death sentence.

He said $300 was where new and compatible units started, and they could walk me through the process next week. I asked if there was some GM or AC/Delco website where I could start looking, and he replied in the negative.

A bit distraught (didn't really feel like spending $300 on an OEM unit), I returned home. I was sitting in the driveway, and got a wild hair to try the reset process again. I got distracted with the kids when I went back in the house, and ended up leaving it disconnected for over three hours.

When I returned (in the dark), I re-connected the ground and got back in the car. Tried to feed it a pristine CD, and it wouldn't take it. It clicked at me like it was angry. I tried it a second time, almost throwing/shoving the CD in...... and it took it! Hit "Eject," and it spit it out. Threw/shoved another one in, and it took it, too. Hit "Eject," and it spit that one out, as well.

They play fine, and the unit seems to have returned to normal. A week later, it was "taking" the CDs from me; I didn't have to throw/shove them in any longer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
i bought a 2012 chevy impala with 32,000 miles never put in cd till about 60000 and now it plays but can not get cd out just shows ejecting disc and then disc error

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
With 4 kids, have taken several cd/dvd players and vcr's apart over the years, a ps2 too. Most of those have been tray type though and have a mechanism that can be repaired, some are simple and some are a little more complicated. In my experience, the problem is that the mechanism gets out of track with the gears that drive them and need to be placed back to their proper orientation. Don't recall any I was not able to repair, get to load and eject properly. Really not sure on the car type cd players. If it were me I would pull it and take it apart, worse case scenario you end up losing nothing, or you may be able to see the problem and fix it.

Reactions: plano-doug

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
With 4 kids, have taken several cd/dvd players and vcr's apart over the years, a ps2 too. Most of those have been tray type though and have a mechanism that can be repaired, some are simple and some are a little more complicated. In my experience, the problem is that the mechanism gets out of track with the gears that drive them and need to be placed back to their proper orientation. Don't recall any I was not able to repair, get to load and eject properly. Really not sure on the car type cd players. If it were me I would pull it and take it apart, worse case scenario you end up losing nothing, or you may be able to see the problem and fix it.
I like the way you think ! It motivates me to be a bit more adventurous :)

My typical variation on this is that I take the bad radio out and replace it, and store the old one in the attic with the intention of fiddling with it some other time.

Alas, I think my 1978 Sanyo bi-amp am-fm-cassette is in a box in the attic still waiting for me to get around to it :(

Doug

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I like the way you think ! It motivates me to be a bit more adventurous :)

My typical variation on this is that I take the bad radio out and replace it, and store the old one in the attic with the intention of fiddling with it some other time.

Alas, I think my 1978 Sanyo bi-amp am-fm-cassette is in a box in the attic still waiting for me to get around to it :(

Doug

you might as well keep it, in 30 more years the retro craze of that generation will be all about those cassettes like they currently are with records! LOL

1 - 7 of 7 Posts