Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so long story short....my 2002 base 3.4 was stolen, i know common failures on that are head gaskets and lim, mostly cooling issues because it happened on my car,not very moddable

browsing cl and found an 04 SS at a reasonable price, but before committing i want to know what problems the Ss

·
Banned
667 Posts
so long story short....my 2002 base 3.4 was stolen, i know common failures on that are head gaskets and lim, mostly cooling issues because it happened on my car,not very moddable

browsing cl and found an 04 SS at a reasonable price, but before committing i want to know what problems the Ss
get it checked out

old or low fluids(or none) is a warning sign of poor maintenance.
check the tires make sure none are old (date code is printed on the tire WEEK/YEAR should be 2010+)or dull on the left or right side ( dull spots mean wheel alignment issues)

avoid at all cost if it has had emissions issues eg.. failed test, accidents etc.... in the past.(car fax report )

Base model impala is more likely to get stolen compared to the ls or ss overall due to the police use.

·
Apex Everything
2,939 Posts
The transmission will be the biggest potential problem. I'd check it out before you buy

·
The Unscrupulous Lt. Colonel
1,077 Posts
I wont throw in the transmission scare, i say go for it if "everything" checks out good.... To this day, i havent heard of a serious problem with the 3800/SC version of the Impala SS. The only trouble ive seen out of them is some sloppy ass owner that doesnt take care of his/her car leaving it looking or running in shambles. Besides that, they seem to be bullet proof. I drove a 98 Buick Regal with that 3800 SC in it with that heavyduty transmission. Not one single problem out of it, and it did good to clean up some of the trash on the streets at that time. :lol:

Reactions: Burt

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Transmission, LIM, Coil packs, and general maint

Check under the hood and under the car. Check all fluids (coolant, trans, oil, brake, etc). If any discoloration or residue inside, I would have some concern. Check air filter. Chances are if the air filter is dirty and under the body is rusted heavily, they didn't maintain it.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
He's looking for common problems for that car.. Not a general maintainance for every car. And the 3800 is not prone to LIM problems.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
He's looking for common problems for that car.. Not a general maintainance for every car. And the 3800 is not prone to LIM problems.
The 3800 isn't prone the LIM gasket failure? :giggle:

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Now I just re-read the sticky for the intake in this section. It seems most of the problems existed from 03 and back so, maybe GM finally got around to fixing it and using the revised gaskets and UIM by 04. Just maybe

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Not much maybe about it. My 3.4 came with metal gaskets from factory. It's an 04.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Hmm I may be wrong then. Maybe GM used revised gaskets, etc in 04

I'll stop now. I feel I am being a bit of an ass.
It's all good I actually believe you are right. I was just confused when you stated "3800's don't have LIM issues". Clearly not the case. Mine is due for an LIM, UIM, etc rebuild here in the next couple months.

Anyways to the OP: If the above statements are correct and GM used revised gaskets in 04 then, there really isn't anything to worry about with the SS's. Other than just general maint, trans fluid regularly, and oh maybe burning up tires if you have a lead foot like me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Lol thanks for all the replies, ill definitely take a close look at everything whenever I have time to actually check out the car, of course with no car right now,being in school, and work I'm not sure if that'll be

·
Registered
62 Posts
very helpful i am also thinking bout trading my base or just buying an 04 ss. found 1 with 160k for 4800 or one with 81k for 7 grand. good deals?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts