Impala Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im not sure which model it is but ive seen some impalas with the coloy keyed taillights (looks like the rear of the cobalt) my impala is stock and i was wondering if i could somehow get this casue i have no idea which piece that is

·
Registered
358 Posts
are you talking about tail light cover's like these?

if so you can check ebay, & for sale threads on forums(sometimes they pop up)

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ebay or the dealership. GM doesn't even produce them anymore, so whatever is out there, you should try to snap them up.

50 bucks is also a really good deal on these.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They Are like a plastic and can be painted whatever color right? And what are the odds or a dealer having them? I live in south jersey if that makes a difference

·
Registered
117 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
They Are like a plastic and can be painted whatever color right? And what are the odds or a dealer having them? I live in south jersey if that makes a difference
They are a semi-flexible plastic. Most will need to be painted, since they aren't generally available in the color you want.

These parts are no longer produced by GM or any aftermarket companies. A dealer will charge you 600-700 dollars for a set, but you can spot them on ebay for anywhere from 50-150 dollars.

They're easy to install on your own once they are painted.

·
Registered
36 Posts
vinyl

try searching google for impala tail light vinyl. I got a set of 3 vinyls that creates the same look for 100 bux. it's easy 2 find and any shop that does tints should be able 2 install it for cheap

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks ill be looking but has anyone ever thought of going to a body shop and just having the tail lights themselves painted? any opinions on that idea?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Painting the taillights has been done a few times before, but be aware that any scratches or chipping are going to look very bad with red plastic showing through.

Some shops will refuse to paint them if they are concerned they won't come out well (since they have to sand the surface of the taillights to get the paint to stick, undoing any paintjob will leave a rough, unshiny surface)

Most people prefer the taillight covers to painting directly onto their tailpanels. Out of a few hundred Impalas I've viewed that have this appearance, only 2, maybe 3 cars have painted their taillights. The rest have gone with the covers.

·
Registered
358 Posts
tail light covers FTW!!!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
ebay is your best bet. Just do a search a few times a week. Eventually, they'll turn up. Probably going to cost 100-150 for a set.

Edit: there is a set on ebay right now. They're dark blue, but the odds are that you would have had to get them painted anyway.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/chevrolet-impala-taillight-cover_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a1205Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem170298935533QQitemZ170298935533QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yeah thanks. i was thinking about going to the dealership but only god knows how much their gonna want to rob me for

·
Registered
375 Posts
Dealers may not even carry them anymore, as they stopped production on these a year or two ago.

Currently nobody makes them aftermarket unless you want the vinyl ones, which are notoriuously difficult to install and they fade.

When the dealers did sell them, they were 600-700 dollars.

·
Registered
375 Posts
streettrends sells them for like $500 or so
595. They can be had for much cheaper if you have the patience to find them on ebay.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts