Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My '14 Impala Limited is making a rear suspension squeaking noise now that we're in the cold weather below freezing. It makes the car sound like a piece of junk going over bumps. I usually keep it in a heated garage so only notice the noise when it sits out in sub-freezing temps. It only has 41k on it.

This car was never in the colder weather having come from the south and hasn't seen salt either.

Is this another known problem with these cars? I've searched and haven't found anything. Don't believe there's any grease fittings on it.

Thanks

·
Registered
172 Posts
My '13 LTZ has a rear, passenger suspension squeak that comes and goes (doesn't seem to be temp related though). Unfortunately, I haven't solved that one yet. However, it did have a suspension creak from the rear end, and it turned out to be the driver side rear sway bar end link. Replaced it with a Moog unit, solved my creak (replaced the other side a few weeks later just for consistency).

If you have access to a lift, put it up and shake some suspension components to see if any make noise. That's how I found out about the sway bar end link.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Check out your sway bar end links. Roll the car up on some ramps, or put it on a lift. Then get under it and shake the rear sway bar and the links to see if anything makes noise. If it does, track down the noise, and that's more than likely your culprit.

Moog sway bar end links are around $20 apiece from an auto parts store. They aren't terribly difficult to replace, but I ended up having to drill the top bolt out of both of them because the back of the bolt (ratchet/impact on outside end and wrench to hold the back of it so it doesn't just spin) stripped for me haha. Turned a quick job into a couple of hours. A word of advice if you decide to change one or both of them out: Make sure the wrench holding the back of it doesn't slide off while you're turning the ratchet or impact. It'll strip it rather easily if it does.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Hello,

My '14 Impala Limited is making a rear suspension squeaking noise now that we're in the cold weather below freezing. It makes the car sound like a piece of junk going over bumps. I usually keep it in a heated garage so only notice the noise when it sits out in sub-freezing temps. It only has 41k on it.

This car was never in the colder weather having come from the south and hasn't seen salt either.

Is this another known problem with these cars? I've searched and haven't found anything. Don't believe there's any grease fittings on it.

Thanks

I previous owned a 2008 2011, and 2012 Impala LTZ. I now own a 2014 Impala 2LTZ.

Check the parking brake cable where it passes through a bracket, under the car, on the left (driver's) side of the car, about underneath the rear door / seat area. The cable rubs on the bracket and cause a squeak. You can lubricate the bracket and the outside of the cable (it is a plastic sheath) with white lithium grease.

With the engine off, on level ground and the transmission in park (with wheels blocked....) - have a helper apply and release the parking brake, while you lay on the ground and look at the cable. You may see the cable sheath move and possible squeak. That will help you determine where to put the grease. There is also a parking brake equalizer assembly under the car, near the center line, under the rear seat. That also can squeak with body movement and can be lubricated with white lithium grease.

You can buy a toothpaste size tube of white lithium grease (waterproof and highly temperature resistant) at most auto part's stores.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.