Impala Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guy's,

I just bought a coil pack for my 03 Impala Ls, 3.8L, V6 and i would like to know is there anything i need to disconnect before and after installation:dunno:,Also.... What tools are needed to install my coil pack? This is my first time installing a coil pack and i really don't want to screw up the installation:cool:, I wanted to get some advice before i tackle the job....Thank's:eek:k3:

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Disconnect the battery, remove the 2 plug wires (2 and 5) and then the 2 small (but long) bolts (they are 7/32 I believe). Then replace and reinstall the battery and you are good to go.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
It really is. Btw, 7mm on those bolts, but 7/32 will probably fit too. 7mm is a very common size on these cars for some reason...

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Unfortunately for me my 7mm didn't fit. Could very well be rust or bolt corrosion though. 7/32 is a very odd size so 7mm is likely the normal one ;)

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
Yes its metric. I think everything on these cars are.

I also recommend applying a small dot of dielectric grease on the 2 prongs on the Ignition control module and also, the coil pack posts. This will help keep moisture out. It wouldn't be a bad idea to take the others off and apply to them as well. These coil pack posts are VERY prone to moisture and rusting. I can almost guarantee your front 3 or 4 pack posts are rusted :eek:k3: Clean them up with a wire brush or sandpaper and apply dielectric grease.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dont forget to mark your wires as to not get them crossed. Also I recommend replacing all three at the same time if you got the funds. I had to use a 7/32nd as well to remove mine.

·
Registered
432 Posts
5.5 mm socket remove two plugs wire, done. Install in reverse order. Use a coil pack from a supercharged car for better spark.

·
Mr. Handy
6,289 Posts
5.5 mm socket remove two plugs wire, done. Install in reverse order. Use a coil pack from a supercharged car for better spark.
Don't they use the same coil packs?

Just looked on rockauto. Looked up part numbers for my impala and an grand prix gtp. Seems there are 4-5 coil packs for both cars with same part number and a few on each that are different. Doesn't make sense to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts