Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey crew,

I have a 2014 Impala 2LT with the V6 Flex fuel motor with 51k miles. Over the past month or so I've had an intermittent check engine light pop up and gradually go away. Each time it has came on I was either below 1/4 tank of gas, or the car was running while in park. There have been no performance issues while driving or at a stand still that I've noticed. The only thing I've recognized is possible lower gas mileage and the exhaust smell seems a little rich.

The exact code readings were
P0174 System too lean (Bank 2)
P0171 System too lean (Bank 1)

I've read a ton of different diagnoses but none directed towards the newest body impala. I only have the power-train warranty left on my car and would prefer to take it to a local mechanic I know to save some money. Has anybody had these codes or know a good reason that they are being caused? I'd like to give him a head ups of what others have seen just so he can check into those specifically.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just did this procedure with 70k mi and it fixed the lean codes (STFT was showing 33% on idle before repair and ~4% after). It's the same LFX engine; however, the positioning of the part is different due to the different intake design from the previous generation Impala. The part will be on the rear right side (right front wheel/near throttle body) of the engine instead of the driver/left side.

http://www.impalaforums.com/chevy-i...-lean-and-oxygen-codes-fixed.html#post3059946

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
let us know if what target39 suggested solved your problem.

·
Registered
287 Posts
blue2lt, alot of the V6 cars were built to PZEV emission specs. and if you live in a PZEV friendly state(CA, NJ,NY, ME, MA, PA, VT, OR, CT, RI are a few I believe) your car will actually have have a 15yr/150k mile emissions warranty. Just ask a dealer for a warranty coverage detail. Or I can check if you PM me the last 8 digits of your VIN (should be like E9xxxxxx on your car)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
blue2lt, alot of the V6 cars were built to PZEV emission specs. and if you live in a PZEV friendly state(CA, NJ,NY, ME, MA, PA, VT, OR, CT, RI are a few I believe) your car will actually have have a 15yr/150k mile emissions warranty. Just ask a dealer for a warranty coverage detail. Or I can check if you PM me the last 8 digits of your VIN (should be like E9xxxxxx on your car)
Thanks, I’m in Kentucky but I’ll send you my last 8 once I get off and I can check it.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey guys just an update, ended up being a crack in the duct outlet... also known as the intake boot. I felt stupid for not finding it initially being it was right in front of me, but it wasn’t until I went to take it off to get to the purge valve, that I pulled away on it and noticed the crack.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Someone else mentioned they had the exact same problem, a cracked intake boot. Hmmm

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Someone else mentioned they had the exact same problem, a cracked intake boot. Hmmm
I wouldn't expect that on a 3 year old car. You gotta wonder if the material is not durable enough. Or if maybe it's one of those designs that forces you to over-stress or kink the boot when removing/installing it.

Doug

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
After realizing what it was, I talked to a mechanic I know who works at a local gm dealership and said it’s a typical issue on the 3.6 engines.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The rubber intake boots on several of GMs current engine lineup are prone to splitting.... Sucks.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
At least they are fairly cheap. I looked online and they can be had for about $50 or so.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I had one cracked after my first oil change back in 2015 on my 2015 2LT. I noticed it at around 5k miles when I was checking the oil in my car. I didn't have any codes. Dealer replaced it under warranty. I told him I never saw this happen with a new car and the dealer said he never saw that happen either. I work in the Plastic and Rubber industry so from my experience whomever manufactured the parts for GM must have gotten a batch of bad raw material. It happens and has nothing to do with QC or with the manufacturer of the part. It's the raw material vendor at fault.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had one cracked after my first oil change back in 2015 on my 2015 2LT. I noticed it at around 5k miles when I was checking the oil in my car. I didn't have any codes. Dealer replaced it under warranty. I told him I never saw this happen with a new car and the dealer said he never saw that happen either. I work in the Plastic and Rubber industry so from my experience whomever manufactured the parts for GM must have gotten a batch of bad raw material. It happens and has nothing to do with QC or with the manufacturer of the part. It's the raw material vendor at fault.
Good to know, I’m hoping the materials on the replacement I have coming in tomorrow are better than the original.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Unacceptable on a vehicle that's only a few years old.
My 1977 VW Rabbit CIS Fuel Injection intake boots are literally 42 years old... Build date is 10/76. I've owned the car since early 1981 or late 1980 when I bought it for salvage with over 1/4 million miles. While I did swap a nearly new 84 GTI 1.8L engine from a burned down car into the chassis to replace the badly worn out 1.6L. 250K ws a lot of miles in 1980... Lots of things that should've lasted didn't last very long but it hasn't needed new intake boots.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hay I have a 2016 Chevy impala and the check engine is on. I had it check and it is pulling code po442, po174, and po496 and I have no clue what these are. Can someone help me on this. It is hard to get it started after putting gas in and has died on me when sitting at lights or about to die on me. Please someone help me on this. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
12,441 Posts
Have you checked the air intake hose (the rubber-like thing between the air filter box and the throttle body)? I've been reading a lot of reports of that host basically falling apart on the 9th gens - even on newer, low-milage vehciles. Check that for tears, etc. And I completely agree with @hatzie here - it's ridiculous that this is even an issue for such a simple part that has been used forever on every car...

·
Registered
126 Posts
The P0442 and PO496 are Evaporative Emission Control codes. Based on the fact that it is hard to start after fueling it is most likely the Canister Purge Solenoid. The P0174 is probably a result of the other two codes. Take it to the dealer, this should fall under the Emissions Warranty.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts