Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hyundai India is launching a "new" transmission type called clutchless manual. Also called Automated Manual Transmission or Intelligent Manual Transmission. I say new in quotes because this is not actually new tech, except the part where computers control the shifting. I am curious if anyone has thoughts on this? At a glance I wonder if the tech will be cheaper and more reliable than the automatic transmissions that are getting too complex as the number of gears increase. While allowing a nice mix of gear shift control but ease of use without a driver operated clutch.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hyundai India is launching a "new" transmission type called clutchless manual. Also called Automated Manual Transmission or Intelligent Manual Transmission. I say new in quotes because this is not actually new tech, except the part where computers control the shifting. I am curious if anyone has thoughts on this? At a glance I wonder if the tech will be cheaper and more reliable than the automatic transmissions that are getting too complex as the number of gears increase. While allowing a nice mix of gear shift control but ease of use without a driver operated clutch.
Whats old is new.

For the 1968 model year, the Volkswagen Beetle offered an optional transmission marketed as Automatic Stickshift (in the United States and Canada, in most of the world it was simply called an "Automatic") which was essentially a three-speed manual without a clutch pedal.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Automatically shifted manual transmissions without a clutch pedal have been around in the trucking industry for at least 10 years. They do save on maintenance and repairs as there is no major slipping of the clutch when being engaged. They do help to improve fuel economy as they can be programmed to shift earlier than MOST drivers would normally shift on their own. Once the computer software for these got upgraded and changed to work out all the bugs, the last truck I drove (2013 Freightliner) with the Ultra Shift (no clutch pedal) I really liked it once I got used to it. If something similar to it in light and medium duty trucks could be a pleasure to drive.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts