Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '04 Impala I bought new. It only has 44K miles. For the last few months it has been making a clunking noise when I back out of my driveway into the street with the wheels turned. Also I hear this clunk when I take off from a dead stop, especially when turning. This vehicle has been driven easy and only on paved roads etc. My first guess would be a CV joint going bad. Is it common for these to go out with such low mileage? Has there been any recalls that anyone is aware of? Which side is likely to be the problem if it is a CV joint?
Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a 2005 Impala and it did the same thing. It was a company car so I didn't care lol. But I purchased a 2005 Impala in May and it started doing the same thing so I am assuming it is common????

·
Registered
657 Posts
dont necessarily need to replace it, although there is a nasty rumor going around that there is a better one out there now available from GM that requires no lubing. anyways, to fix this, just get a can of white lithium grease from autoparts store of your choice, get upside down in the drivers seat, pull back the rubber boot that goes around the steering shaft, and spray down into the middle of it. it may help to have the steering wheel turned about 1/4 turn either way. spray till it wont take any more grease.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts