Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I am newly registered. Kinda pissed but I will make. After buying my car I researched and realized that I have Caprice and not Impala SS. Everything on the car says Impala SS except the title. I am cool with it. Check your vin to ensure you have what you want.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I'm not a B-Body expert but I hear that that's how it comes from a the factory and not a clone. Yes the title says Caprice, but it has the SS package. On the ISSF I read that this is very common.

Someone that knows more about this will chime in, I think somewhere (probably on the ISSF) there's a write up explaining all the codes.

·
Registered
303 Posts
A true Impala SS may be titled as a Caprice or an Impala. [I don't know if anyone really figured out why. Ideas like limitations in state's databases and lazy dealership title people were suggested.] The bottom line is that the "Caprice" name on the title does not disqualify it as an SS.

Open up the trunk and find the SPID label on the lid. It has many columns of 3 character codes in order. Look for "WX3". If you have that code, then it is an Impala SS. If you don't have that code, then it's a fancy Caprice/clone.

·
Registered
125 Posts
i know what ur going through my friend ......... for months i was wondering if my SS wa a Caprice ......... i did alot of research and finally went to a chevy dealership where they checked themselves (after waiting an hour)

I HAVE A REAL SS ..... "16,329th off the line in 95" :biggrin:

i copied the little book they got the info from and post it later on tonight

i hate cloned impalas. don't get me wrong, i love the caprice too, just as a caprice though .......

good luck though :biggrin:

·
Registered
303 Posts
i......... for months i was wondering if my SS wa a Caprice .........
just an FYI....
All Impala SS's are Caprices. WX3 is the option code that makes it an SS. I understand that the WX3 option makes it much more valuable, but just remember that it is really just a fancy Caprice. [The LT1 Caprices were really great cars, so don't downplay the connection.] Reminds of me of TransAm owners that would get pissed off when I asked about their Firebird [or my bro-in-law that gets pissy when I suggest that his Marauder is a fancy GranMarquis/CrownVic].

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Clone Advice

Man,
Those were all positive replies, thanks! What are some things to look for in clones?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts