Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 00 imp'er and i was curios about something, my fan only works on 5, and before everyone says go get a motor or resistor, i know for sure its the switch as i've ordered AND returned the usual suspect parts, so my question is this, can the fan speed switch alone be replaced, repaired without having to replace the entire unit? If it helps, I have the 5 speed fan, dual zone controls, and the vent(s) selector.

Thanks in advance for any help given.

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
I "think" there is an electrical board in there that goes across all 3 sections. I might be incorrect and if so someone will definitely be along to correct me.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I "think" Jemima is right, also I don't think the motor selector is available on its own.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys. Decided to go for broke, and not only is the fan switch seperate from the rest, it was quite easy to fix. Got all 5 speeds again :eek:k3:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, if anyone attempts this, be prepared for alot of cursing :gaah: To remove the switch assembly is simple, remove switch assembly with 2 5mm bolts, then with small needle nose pliers, pry up on the metal tangs, and take switch apart, clean all the terminals, and if needed use a pick to pry up on all the contacts, P.S. there is a very small plastic nipple that is spring loaded, VERY easy to lose!!!!!!! It's sole purpose is to give thtat click feel.

Reassemble and voila!

Hope this helps someone out there

·
Back in Black
4,127 Posts
could you have used electronic contact cleaner to spray on switch while changing setting to clean switch?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In my case no, the spring that holds the turning piece to the contacts was broke so I didnt have a choice, but if someone doesn't want to take it apart, i guess that would also be a good starting point

1 - 8 of 8 Posts