Impala Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Clicking noise while turning right

I've had this hollow clicking noise, like metal and plastic hitting, when I turn right or backing up turning left. I've replaced both cv axles and wheel hub assys. Still have the same noise. Jacked the car up, put it in gear turned right and no noise. The noise only appears as the wheel is turning under load- I guess. If I hold the steering wheel steady in the turn it still makes this hollow clicking noise so I didn't think it was steering column related. My brake shop said it might be a cracked torque converter flex plate. Never heard of that. It's a 2004 3.8.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Are you using stock size rims and tires? And have you checked for wear on the insides?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cracked flexplates are common (and dangerous) in RWD vehicles (mostly what I know about), and make all sorts of death noises. I wouldn't rule that out. Definitely check all around the tire. Wheel center or lugnut covers, wheel weight or CV boot clamp hitting something, that type of thing. I suppose it could be a differential problem, too, but that costs a trans rebuild to find out. :(

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Cracked flexplates are common (and dangerous) in RWD vehicles (mostly what I know about), and make all sorts of death noises. I wouldn't rule that out. Definitely check all around the tire. Wheel center or lugnut covers, wheel weight or CV boot clamp hitting something, that type of thing. I suppose it could be a differential problem, too, but that costs a trans rebuild to find out. :(
Cracking flexplates are seriously rare in our cars and usually only happen to those that are running some monster horsepower.

I'd be more inclined to think that it's either the sway bar torquing due to bad bushings, or it's also possible that the engine cradle bolts are loose, which is a common occurence in our cars.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Cracking flexplates are seriously rare in our cars and usually only happen to those that are running some monster horsepower.

I'd be more inclined to think that it's either the sway bar torquing due to bad bushings, or it's also possible that the engine cradle bolts are loose, which is a common occurence in our cars.

All good to know. I am new to the FWD game. My first is a 99 GP GT and I've only had it about a year. Learning as I go. Glad to know the flexplates don't cause much trouble. Sway bar bushing sure could make that noise.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
All good to know. I am new to the FWD game. My first is a 99 GP GT and I've only had it about a year. Learning as I go. Glad to know the flexplates don't cause much trouble. Sway bar bushing sure could make that noise.
Top swap that baby!

·
Registered
1 Posts
i've had this hollow clicking noise, like metal and plastic hitting, when i turn right or backing up turning left. I've replaced both cv axles and wheel hub assys. Still have the same noise. Jacked the car up, put it in gear turned right and no noise. The noise only appears as the wheel is turning under load- i guess. If i hold the steering wheel steady in the turn it still makes this hollow clicking noise so i didn't think it was steering column related. My brake shop said it might be a cracked torque converter flex plate. Never heard of that. It's a 2004 3.8.
my impala is making the exact same noise,id love to know what you found out

·
Registered
2 Posts
have you checked the starter? I had a Buick LeSabre with the 3.8 that would make a noise while turning right and it turned out to be the return spring in the starter was broke letting the starter gear rub the flexplate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts