Impala Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the '63 SS for about 3 months now and I've just started trying to clean up the stuff that needs attention. The paint is the original red paint and the clearcoat is completely gone. From a distance, the car looks really good. But under really good light or in the sunlight up close, you can tell that it's starting to oxidize and haze a bit....hell it's almost 50 years old - I guess it happens.

So today, I bought a buffer and some Meguiar's rubbing and polishing compound and got started on the trunk. I figured that cleaning it up and adding a couple coats of good wax would be the next best thing to getting it painted...Can't afford that right now.

I taped off half of the trunk and spent about 2 hours on the left side, and I'm pretty happy with the results so far. Below are the results of tonight's experiment. Sorry about the crappy pics (cell phone pics aren't there greatest) and the light sucks too on that end of the garage.

If anyone has experience in bringing old paint back to life, please speak up and let me know your secrets.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
170 Posts
I had an 85 Chevy Celebrity that the paint was so oxidized it looked like a flat paint. I used the Meguires 3 step system to shine up the paint. When I got done with the roof it looked like new paint.

To be honest, I didn't think they had base coat/ clear coat paint in 1963 but I am probably wrong.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cleaning up old paint

I had an 85 Chevy Celebrity that the paint was so oxidized it looked like a flat paint. I used the Meguires 3 step system to shine up the paint. When I got done with the roof it looked like new paint.

To be honest, I didn't think they had base coat/ clear coat paint in 1963 but I am probably wrong.
You could be right....I assumed that there was some sort of clear coat, but I'm not too sure if they applied it at the factory or not. At any rate, I'm pretty happy with the results so far, except for the fact that my 3 day old buffer/polisher already took a dump. I guess I need to spend some money on a professional one if I expect it to last more than a week.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know what you mean. My dad bought me a buffer for christmas one year & it never did that good a job. It just doesn't have the power a good orbital polisher has. I guess you get what you pay for but a hand buff works for me.. Just is very tiring though

·
Registered
170 Posts
Not to get off subject but that is one good looking Impala you got there. The paint actually looks good for being over 40 years old.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks

Not to get off subject but that is one good looking Impala you got there. The paint actually looks good for being over 40 years old.
Thanks Matt - I have to keep reminding myself of the fact that it's as old as it is. My father in law and I were talking and he put it perfectly...he said "...hell, the car is almost 50 years old - how many 50 year old men do you know that look brand new?" He has a good point...I'm only 37 and have some flaws in my paint :cool:

What kind of car do you have?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Paint Claen Up

GM used laquer paint up into the seventies. At 45 + years that laquer would have oxidized to powder.Laquer can oxidize in as little as 6 months and continually needs to be polished to look good. How many owners has this car had?
I would not be surprised if at some point the car has been painted. What type of paint? enamal, acylic enamal, base clear, epoxy and on and on.
Buff and polish what you have, but be very carefull at the corners and edges as you can "cut thru" really easy. Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts