Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
when i got the car it had a oil leak oil was hit the drivebelt which in turn made it spray all over the engine bay and picked up alot of dirt and grime. how can i clean the whole engine bay and make it look good? is there shopos that specialize in this type of tyhing? do i have to be careful when i do it myself not to get anything wet? all tips are appreciated:wink:

·
Registered
125 Posts
my engine bay is also super dirty, i believe never cleaned at all .... alot of dirt and grime .... isn't there some sort of foam that you spray and leave on for 10 mins then wash away???

thanks in advance :biggrin:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i heard of sumthin like that but want a name and sum advice from people that have done it b4 mine has never been cleaned either

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Simple.....take some commercial strength "Simple Green" and spray down the entire engine area, let it soak 5 minutes then hose off with a garden hose with a nozzle attachment/fan spray. Try to avoid spraying too much near the water pump as that is where the distributor is. Let that dry and then use armor all or son of a gun protectant and soak the engine area. let it soak 5-10 minutes then wipe down the excess.

Voila, you have a picture perfect engine.

On some VERY dirty motors, some light scrubbing may be needed while spraying the simple green.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Simple.....take some commercial strength "Simple Green" and spray down the entire engine area, let it soak 5 minutes then hose off with a garden hose with a nozzle attachment/fan spray. Try to avoid spraying too much near the water pump as that is where the distributor is. Let that dry and then use armor all or son of a gun protectant and soak the engine area. let it soak 5-10 minutes then wipe down the excess.

Voila, you have a picture perfect engine.

On some VERY dirty motors, some light scrubbing may be needed while spraying the simple green.
Great advice! The only thing with Simple Green is if you have any billet items you have to get it sprayed off quick. Be careful not to use to high pressure and avoid spraying directly on any wiring. The main thing to get your engine bay clean is it takes time and hand cleaning. Get the major area done like suggested, then start on one section at a time. Use plenty of rags, cleaner, and (if you are like me) wax for the painted areas. In a weekend you can have an engine bay people will stop and look at!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts