Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I'm about to replace the starter on my 2004 Chevy Impala Police Vehicle but it's my understanding the 3800 Series uses two different starters depending on the model trim? At least this is what the person at Advanced Auto Parts said. I just decided to save considerable money and order from Rock Auto but I want to be sure I order the right one. Each picture under the 3.8 looks just like my starter so I don't know what the difference would be. Some say permanent Magnet Gear or Permanent Magnet reduction, while some say nothing at all if that matters. Also at the auto parts store the asked me what the 8th character in my vin was which is "K" if that is of consequence. Thanks in advance for helping me learn the difference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Your best bet will be to order by your VIN Number because I have the same car and nothing is what it says unless I order all my parts by my VIN Number from A-1 auto.com is where I find all my parts cheapest for my 2004 impala 3.8 police vehicle

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Also at the auto parts store the asked me what the 8th character in my vin was which is "K" if that is of consequence. Thanks in advance for helping me learn the difference.
The K refers to the engine, in this case, the 3.8, RPO code L36. This is on the RPO sticker, on the bottom side of the trunk lid, as I recall.

I'm not sure what other version of the 3.8 they might have put in a police car, but there were several other versions made. For the Impala that year, the other 3.8 was the supercharged L67. I could see that needing a different starter :)

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok, good information! Yes, I am quite sure I have the L36. I went ahead and ordered it off of Rock Auto and if it doesn't work I will just ship it back.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your best bet will be to order by your VIN Number because I have the same car and nothing is what it says unless I order all my parts by my VIN Number from A-1 auto.com is where I find all my parts cheapest for my 2004 impala 3.8 police vehicle
I've used A1 in the past,but I primarily use RockAuto, but if finding the correct parts for me vehicle will be a hassle I may have to go that route.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts