Impala Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The console lid fits really loosely and rattles real obnoxiously, and since I am off for a week, I spent this morning going into the dealer to have them take a look at it.

I didn't see a way to adjust it to fix the problem, and neither did they; they ordered a new lid, and I may be able to get it installed before I go back to work, and not miss some work time dealing with such a minor, albeit really annoying issue.

But it's been a long time since I have been to a dealer for service write-up, and the chick plugged a handheld device into the OBD port while she inspected the car for visible damage to cover their butt against a possible unscrupulous "you guys damaged my car" claim.

I get that it saves them manually recording the VIN for documentation, but does anybody know what kind of data they are downloading?

I remember there was an OnStar row about them accessing vehicle telemetry to upload a whole array of data of vehicle use without owners' consent, and it makes me wonder what they are sucking out of the computer this morning.

Anybody know about this?

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cool, the thread finally got approved!

They called me and the new console lid is in, I go back Thursday morning to have them replace it.

So, has anybody seen this handheld device the service write-up tech uses?

I wonder how long they have been doing this; I haven't done a warranty visit or recall visit in a long time.

I'd love to know what all data they downloaded... :eek:

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
Cool, the thread finally got approved!

They called me and the new console lid is in, I go back Thursday morning to have them replace it.

So, has anybody seen this handheld device the service write-up tech uses?

I wonder how long they have been doing this; I haven't done a warranty visit or recall visit in a long time.

I'd love to know what all data they downloaded... :eek:

I take my son's Ram pickup truck to a Chrysler-Dodge-Jeep-Ram dealer for routine service. A friend works in the service department and showed me a wireless plug-in unit they use when you arrive for service.

The unit determines the vehicle VIN, mileage, oil life percentage and any stored codes and transmits it wirelessly to their countertop computer system. If you are a previous customer, the system sets-up a new work order and inserts the data. The system also scans the FCA system for any open recalls or service bulletins that may be in effect and places the data on the work order. The system also displays any previous work done on the vehicle by the servicing or any other FCA dealer. It displays any existing warranties. The list can be printed for the technician.

It is a big labor saver for the service deapartment and ensures accurate data. It also helps the customer by searching for open recalls or bulletins (such as computer reflashes) - which also helps the customer.

When the system was explained to me - I was fascinated.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, that's what I thought and I sorta saw all that coming.

I remember when they had to physically look at the VIN plaque and write it down, and there was no computer system to look up car history or recalls.

I was curious if it knew other things that I'd rather they didn't know. :|

·
Registered
118 Posts
The console lid fits really loosely and rattles real obnoxiously, and since I am off for a week, I spent this morning going into the dealer to have them take a look at it.

I didn't see a way to adjust it to fix the problem, and neither did they; they ordered a new lid, and I may be able to get it installed before I go back to work, and not miss some work time dealing with such a minor, albeit really annoying issue.

But it's been a long time since I have been to a dealer for service write-up, and the chick plugged a handheld device into the OBD port while she inspected the car for visible damage to cover their butt against a possible unscrupulous "you guys damaged my car" claim.

I get that it saves them manually recording the VIN for documentation, but does anybody know what kind of data they are downloading?

I remember there was an OnStar row about them accessing vehicle telemetry to upload a whole array of data of vehicle use without owners' consent, and it makes me wonder what they are sucking out of the computer this morning.

Anybody know about this?
More than likely a new standard procedure to check the software rev. on the ECU and more importantly to verify whether the vehicle has had an "aftermarket tune" to improve performance. If so it will invalidate the engine warranty and much longer emissions warranty including any in the future for the vehicle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.