Impala Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been posted but I need some specifics. Not much of an electrician, just a mechanic. My friend has a chevy cavalier that keeps running down the battery. Belt is tight, altenator checked good on the stand. How do I SPECIFICALLY check for problems. What tools do I need? How EXACTLY do I check for a DRAW or leakage of battery power. PLEASE HELP!!! The pros want your unborn child and you're left testical to fix or trouble shoot

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
With the engine off, Take a multimeter (voltmeter) and connect it to the battery, it should read between 12.4 and 13.00, hold it there for a minute or two, if the reading goes down, you've got leakage. Depending how fast and how much the reading decreases you an tell how big your leak is.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Unborn to the rescue.Battery charged,disconnect the ground cable from the battery POST.Now hook a shop light ,one end to the negative post and the other end to ground cable.Key off light should be on.Start pulling fuses till the light goes out and that will be the circuit that is the drain.Try removing the radio fuse first as this is a common problem to check first.Have a blessed day.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts