Impala Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is mainly a question for mechanics who primarily work on Chevys, though I guess any mechanic can answer it that has experience.

I have 98 Chevrolet S10 4.3L V6 Vortec engine with automatic 4 speed transmission that recently failed inspection due to worn engine mounts. I was looking in my haynes manual and it said to put a block of wood on a jack and use that to raise the engine to change the mounts. However, a friend of mine, that primarily works on fords, says that that's a bad idea and I should use a engine hoist. Has anyone changed their mounts using just a jack? Did everything turn out fine? What are the dangers of not using an engine hoist to do the job? I really don't wanna fork over the $50-80 a day to rent an engine hoist.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
if you use a pece of wood that is wide enough to cover the entire base of the oil pan you will not have any trouble! I usually unpin one mount at a time to give more flexibility.The bad thing about a hoist is the legs for it are right in the way under the truck so unless you are a contortionist that is bad idea......The engine will only go so high ,so please remove the coolant fan and do one side at a time.....been doing it that was for years .good luck

1 - 2 of 2 Posts