Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey maybe i can get an answer here? my check engine light keeps coming on when i do highway driving i had it checked and had one of the engine knock sensors replaced a few months back. but afterwards the light keeps coming on for the same sensor im not sure if i should change this sensor again or just ignore it?? i have a 2004 chevy impala ss

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
to be honest i dont know if they did or not i didnt really like the service so i didnt go back if you know of a way that i could do it myself let me know

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Have an auto part store reset it for you like Auto Zone. If you use O'Reilly's they will let you borrow the machine and then you can reset it. It is not hard to do.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I had a problem with my car one time, where it would set a check engine light, and I did the troubleshooting and it led to a knock sensor, but it wasn't the problem, it turned out my Mass Air Flow sensor was the problem. and never once did I have a code for a MAF sensor

·
Registered
32 Posts
i have a 2000 impala. a little older but i had a similar problem, check engine light would come on during highway driving and go off in stop and go traffic. turned out to be tps but was putting out misfire codes. i also had to replace the o2 sensor around the same time

·
Registered
557 Posts
If you go to autozone or whatever parts store that allows you to read and clear codes, write down the codes and post them for me, I'll see if I can help you out.

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
If you go to autozone or whatever parts store that allows you to read and clear codes, write down the codes and post them for me, I'll see if I can help you out.
The only problem is, if its the KR sensor, theres a laundry list of things that could cause it on a SS....

Out of curiosity, what brand & Octane fuel have you been using

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
did you drive thru water or wash your engine bay recently?
If its not the sensor it could be the connector. Stock ImpSS I assume?
Stupid Q, but is the gas cap tight (have seen that throw wierd codes before)

some referrences for TSing the issue
http://chevrolet.justanswer.com/uploads/MCVGreg/2007-10-25_201025_2000-Silverado-P0332Debug.pdf

Something loose (even exhaust) hitting the car/block?
theres a SHIT load of stuff that causes false knock which could trip this code too...

Great info about KR
http://www.zzperformance.com/grand_prix/articles1.php?id=14

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
gm recommends premium in their boosted cars
Now this ia stupid to me, IMHO:
1) You pay more for the Boosted Engine car than a standard car = More money
2) You are told to buy the Higher Cost Fuel = More money
3) The Boosted Engine generally wont last as long as a standard stock engine = More money for shorter engine life.

Why?

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
3) The Boosted Engine generally wont last as long as a standard stock engine = More money for shorter engine life.

Why?
If you build it, fools will buy it.

·
Registered
197 Posts

Why?

My brother had 160K on a boosted 92 boneville. Engine still ran fine when he sold it....

·
Registered
3,391 Posts
its the 3800, they're hard to kill (unles you're stupid about it)
Hell i beat the living piss out of mine, is the N/A block, and the only issues i ahve had are:
  • bad wheel bearings
  • Blown CV
  • Fried clutches in the trans
I'd say thats pretty damn good for the abuse i put mine thru

1 - 20 of 21 Posts