Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello im new to this forum but not on others ha. My Brother has a 2000 Impala Ls 3.8L we are about to change the trans fluid and I was wondering where I should disconnect one of the trans line from so I can empty out the lines, converter,and pan??? Once I can get the most fluid I can out I will reinstall it and drop the pan to get whatever is left in there and change the filter. Can anyone help us out maybe someone has some step by step instructions or what I really need to know is where I should disconnect one of the lines from and im sure I could do the rest. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
First, I hope you are aware that running the engine with out the tranny lines connected is not recommended. Second if you are careful and have some one help you then you can do this, one needs to be ready to kill the engine and the other watching for when the fluid STARTS to slow down to tell the the first to kill the engine so you do not damage the trans.

Find which line is the easiest to remove wither from the tranny or radiator and remove one. Then after you have pumped out as much as you can then remove the other line and ONLY blow, with compressed air at a low pressure setting, through the radiator cooler.

Then take off the pan and let what residue fluid drain out. That will get the majority of the old fluid out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First, I hope you are aware that running the engine with out the tranny lines connected is not recommended. Second if you are careful and have some one help you then you can do this, one needs to be ready to kill the engine and the other watching for when the fluid STARTS to slow down to tell the the first to kill the engine so you do not damage the trans.

Find which line is the easiest to remove wither from the tranny or radiator and remove one. Then after you have pumped out as much as you can then remove the other line and ONLY blow, with compressed air at a low pressure setting, through the radiator cooler.

Then take off the pan and let what residue fluid drain out. That will get the majority of the old fluid out.
I pretty much know everything you said but I was trying to see what line is the easiest to remove for sure as in if somebody has already done it before. Thanks for the help!!:smile:

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Great, hope it was not too hard to get to the trans cooler lines.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts