Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
Is there an easier way to change the rear 3 plugs on my 2010?
I really hate the idea of shredding the skin on my arms again.
Any help is appreciated. It seems everywhere I call is $250 or more.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Dunno about the 2010, never done them. Far as the cost quote, $50 for iridium plugs, then what maybe an hour worth of labor if you have to rock the engine forward, yeah $200 seems steep.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.
The local $tealer$hip quoted $250 for plugs, $440 if it needs wires. Knowing how this style of wires comes off, and the profits to be gained,
I’m pretty sure they’re gonna tell me I need wire$.
I’ve done this job on an’00, an ‘02 with 3.4, and an ‘02 Malibu 3.1. Every time it took a week for my arms to heal. Will there be any problems if I disconnect the dog bones and roll the engine forward? Anything to look out for?
Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
The local $tealer$hip quoted $250 for plugs, $440 if it needs wires. Knowing how this style of wires comes off, and the profits to be gained,
I’m pretty sure they’re gonna tell me I need wire$.
I’ve done this job on an’00, an ‘02 with 3.4, and an ‘02 Malibu 3.1. Every time it took a week for my arms to heal. Will there be any problems if I disconnect the dog bones and roll the engine forward? Anything to look out for?
Thanks again.
Rocking the motor forward is standard, so that should not pose any problems...as long it doesn't freewheel into the radiator, or anything like that.

The only other advice I can give is to get a heavy fabric, long sleeved shirt to protect your arms :) Seriously, long sleeves can be a help as can gloves - even latex gloves can help minimize the cuts and scrapes (as well as keep the grease from under your nails).

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just to let you know, it went better than I thought. I got out a light and started looking at the coil pack and what else that may have been in the way.
Then I drew a diagram of where the numbered factory plug wires ran to the coil so I could replace them as necessary.
I pulled out the fronts and replaced them. Then I disconnected the power brake vacuum line from the top rear of the intake manifold and tied it off, out of the way. I removed all plug wires from the coil pack and removed the four 10mm screws holding it, and laid it out of the way. It was not necessary to disconnect it from the harness.
With the coil pack out of the way, I released the plug for the O2 sensor from its anchorage moved it aside without unplugging it. I pulled the wires off all plugs and “filed” them. It seems at least one comes apart when I do this, so a new set of wires is part of the job.
At this point, I just did an R&R on the gapped plugs, and reversed the procedure. All in all, a casual job in about 2 or 2-1/2 hours.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Then I drew a diagram of where the numbered factory plug wires ran to the coil so I could replace them as necessary.
There's two kinds of people in this world: 1. Those that make drawings / take pics / write notes before they disassemble, and 2. Those that wish they had :)

Glad to hear things went well :)

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts