1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Get a drain pan, place it under the filter, unscrew the filter and put it in the pan, screw the new filter on. Move the pan under the drainplug, remove the plug with a 13mm wrench or socket, replace plug when oil is drained. Add 4.5 quarts of oil, start the car and shut it off, check oil level and add if needed. You measure with the oil bottles, each is a quart.

·
Registered
437 Posts
The oil drain plug on the 3.9 engine is a 15 mm bolt, not 13 mm. I do not know about the 3.5, but I suspect it is also a 15mm.

Tighten the drain plug only snug, do not overtighten! You are screwing a steel bolt into an aluminum oil pan. Guess which threads will strip first?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
4 quarts? Maybe if you are pre-filling the filter... the 3.5 definitely has a 13mm, I don't see why the 3.9 would be different since its the same motor essentially, but I suppose its possible.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
4 quarts? Maybe if you are pre-filling the filter... the 3.5 definitely has a 13mm, I don't see why the 3.9 would be different since its the same motor essentially, but I suppose its possible.
Mine is 3500 v6 :giggle: . SO i guess 3.5 of quarts (again american standards to confuse me) . Any specific filter i need to get or they are universal on all cars ?:gaah:

Also what kind of oil i will need is there special one made for imps. or grab any synthetic oil off the shelf ?

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
WIX 51522 oil filter, and any 5W-30 oil. 1 quart= 0.946L, I'd be willing to bet oil is sold by the quart even in canada though.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WIX 51522 oil filter, and any 5W-30 oil. 1 quart= 0.946L, I'd be willing to bet oil is sold by the quart even in canada though.
Will take a picture when i am in canadian tire next time to make sure i am getting the right stuff, and i doubt they sell here by quarts but i could be wrong never really took much care of my previous vehicle.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Oil comes in 4L and 5L jugs up here in Canada. I think I remember when I had my oil changed, the 3.9L engine takes 3.8 L of oil.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
That is 4 quarts almost exactly.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Any specific filter i need to get or they are universal on all cars ?:gaah:

Also what kind of oil i will need is there special one made for imps. or grab any synthetic oil off the shelf ?
I always stick with the dealership oil filters, I know they are designed to work with the vehicle. Stay away from the cheapest orange Fram garbage. The red Canadian Tire ones are not very impressive either.

You're in Saskatchewan? That means you get winters as cold as we do. Do your car a favor and run a synthetic in winter. GM used to recommend 0W-30 below -20F or about -30 C.

I don't get cheap with oil. If I could only afford to run synthetic part of the year, that would be winter.

If you are on a budget, check out Esso XD-3 which is a great heavy duty engine oil. Maybe your local Walmart carries the XD-3 0W-30 or 0W-40. Both are synthetic, and both will pour at -40.

A regular cheap 5W-30 will NOT pour at -40.

Esso put out a nice infomercial back in the early 1990's. Skip ahead to about 4:22 and watch what happens to that poor car when they try to start it with too thick an oil at -30 C.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWiQyR7PWII

Good luck!

·
Registered
536 Posts
if i lived in canada i would not leave my house in the winter time.especially if i was driving that pos chrysler in this video.. i think that this car is suffering from lack of oil to the camshaft because they are running it with the damn valve cover off !!! i always run synthetic oil in my tree debarking machine.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jay if i start using synthetic for winter i think i have to stick with it every time, is that what they not say that once you go synthetic there is no turning back ?

·
Registered
655 Posts
Jay if i start using synthetic for winter i think i have to stick with it every time, is that what they not say that once you go synthetic there is no turning back ?
In the '70's this was true, but not anymore. Here is the answer to that very question from Popular Mechanics Motor Oil: Synthetic vs. Non-Synthetic - Popular Mechanics

"Early synthetics got a bad reputation for leaking. This was because, despite the claims of the oil manufacturers, the seal-swell characteristics of the new synthetics were different from those of the mineral oils they replaced. If the seal-swell rate was lower, the seals shrank and oil leaked from crankshaft seals and rocker cover seals. If the rate was higher, the seals swelled a little extra and the engine was tight. Then if the owner changed back to mineral oil, or added a quart when no synthetic was to be had, things got really bad. The crank seals had become worn, in their turgid state, and then relaxed. The valve cover seals were compressed when swelled, and when the different oil was added, everything leaked like, well, an old English sports car."

·
Registered
222 Posts
if i lived in canada i would not leave my house in the winter time.especially if i was driving that pos chrysler in this video.. i think that this car is suffering from lack of oil to the camshaft because they are running it with the damn valve cover off !!! i always run synthetic oil in my tree debarking machine.
That was an old video, the car was probably new or nearly new at the time.

Splash lubrication only happens when the oil is hot. When the oil is cold, it needs the oil pump to move it around. If the oil had been hot, it would have sprayed everywhere with the motor running.

Just curious if you use Esso XD-3 or Shell Rotella T synthetic? I've had good luck with the Esso XD-3

If you did that from new, there shouldn't be an issue. If the motor is already a few years old, there might, just might, be an issue. I don't think I would worry about it.

With my 2012, the only Dexos oils I have found have claimed to be synthetic.. The Goodwrench oil is a blend.

·
Banned
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
You're in Saskatchewan? That means you get winters as cold as we do. Do your car a favor and run a synthetic in winter. GM used to recommend 0W-30 below -20F or about -30 C.

I don't get cheap with oil. If I could only afford to run synthetic part of the year, that would be winter.

If you are on a budget, check out Esso XD-3 which is a great heavy duty engine oil. Maybe your local Walmart carries the XD-3 0W-30 or 0W-40. Both are synthetic, and both will pour at -40.

Good luck!
ya in sk, will have hard time locating esso xd-3 here.. in canadian tire these are all the products available. Maybe parts source might have something or like you said walmart.

Engine Oil, Motor Oil, Marine Engine Oil | Canadian Tire

1 - 20 of 20 Posts