Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to change the Lower Intake Manifold gaskets on a 3.1L. Now for the motor this will be the third time. Any hints or suggestions regarding getting this to be the last one it needs.

Also any tricks to get the pushrods out with out that special tool that I have only seen on a video on youtube?

·
Impalaforums.com
3,526 Posts
felpro gaskets and some permatex sealant for the valley. make sure everything is real clean and all the old gasket material is off. check for warps or knicks or gouges. once you take your rocker arm off the pushrod should slide up and out. put them back where they came off and coat them with new oil. if its like a 3.4 use thread sealant on the manifold bolts. torque to specs and sequence. good luck.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
I wasn't aware of a special tool, the only strange thing I noticed about the pushrods is that they weave through the gasket, but that's cake. As mentioned, use the metal gaskets. Use the rtv on the ends, let it cure 15 minutes before even setting the manifold on it, let it cure another 15 or so before torqueing, and a few hours at least after that before starting. Should hold up fine if you do those things.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow, it has been 3 years already since I changed that LIM gasket set out.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Damnit, duped again by these late posters! At least maybe my comments can still be useful to someone...

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Metric sockets, pliers, torque wrench, screw drivers and a few other tools. Took me about 8 hours. Can be done in as little as 4.5 hours, but espect to take longer.

Here is a Youtube video of the repair to the 3.1 engine.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
Takes me about 3 hours, but once you've done a couple they are pretty easy. One thing that I think slows people down, is marking all the hoses and electrical connections for reassembly. I don't bother, because you can't put anything in the wrong spot, the plugs are all unique, and the hoses are self explanatory. The only thing to keep track of is the push rods, those you want to be sure go back in the same spots. Also when you lay the bead of RTV on the valley ends, let it set up for a half hour or so before installing the intake, it will seal better.

Reactions: bboysoba
1 - 10 of 10 Posts