Impala Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the simple question but I couldn't find anything threw searching. I need to replace my grandmas battery in her 2003 impala. Changing the battery isn't a big deal but I have read about funny things happening with the security system when you change the battery. Do I need to do anything special when changing the battery? Is there a code that I should find out before I unhook the battery? Thanks for any help with this.

Also where is a good place to get a good battery at a decent price.

Thanks again for helping me help grandma

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I plan on looking threw it but I don't have it in front of me. Just wondering if I can just go in and change the battery or if I need to worry about the security system at all. Thanks

·
Registered
375 Posts
Never heard anything about security system issues when changing batteries. Batteries here are generally priced pretty evenly at all the shops.

If someone mentioned pulling codes from the car, that would only apply if the car is throwing up warning lights on the dash.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Lingenfelter, I read that if you unhook the battery it can lock the radio. Also read something about the theft deterent system when you unhook the battery. Not sure if they are true but don't want to leave grandma without a radio or worse. Thanks

·
Registered
416 Posts
Usually the only thing I hear about when changing the battery is the the radio locking up, but it doesnt happen every time.

·
Registered
657 Posts
your radio is not going to lock up from simply changing batteries. if it does, ill send you mine. :wink:

·
Registered
657 Posts
i have never heard of a battery locking up a radio on one of these impalas. i do remember it being a problem with the mid-late 90's GPs, where you had to have a code to program into it. on these generation impalas, the thing you need to watch out for is the passlock system not letting you start the car. you should not experience this with just a simple battery change though. also, try not to jump the battery on the impala or use the impala to jump another car as you may cause damage to the BCM.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts