Impala Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i recently changed my oil and oil filter and have driven 1,600 miles since and now im having a message come up saying change engine oil, why would this be?

·
Registered
657 Posts
do you have your owner's manual? it will tell you how to do it through the radio.

·
Registered
557 Posts
most of the time its through the radio. turn the radio off, and then hold tune until you get a settings message. Then using the seek button scroll through the menu. You should see an OIL LIFE message. Then hit the button next to seek, it should say reset, and you hit tune. It'll then say DONE.

·
8th Gen Antagonist
13,660 Posts
You can also do it with the gas pedal, turn on the ignition without starting the car and pump the pedal 5 times quickly, it should reset.

Reactions: long15

·
Super Moderator
3,941 Posts
Just to elaborate on how it works a bit more than capricewiz did.
It in no way monitors oil condition.
It considers operating temps, cold starts and use.
I have not seen any solid explaination but some have guessed that it looks at cold starts and counts crankshaft revolutions. Stop and go has the crank turning a LOT for the number of miles driven, driving with your foor to the floor has the crank turning a lot too so it seems to be a sound theory but that is all it is far as I know.

I was confused by exactly this a few months after I bought my sedan, it was the first car I ever owned with a change oil light.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts