Impala Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys, my car recently threw a CEL and the code was P2228, barometric pressure circuit low. I checked my MAP sensor, and found it was loose. I tightened it, deleted the code, and proceeded on my merry way. Must have been driving fifteen minutes or so, and I know cars can throw a code without a CEL so I checked it after I got home and it showed no codes.

My question is, how long or how many miles does it take for the engine system monitors to reset? Basically how long does it for the code or CEL to show up again, if the problem wasn't fixed?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I figured :( I just wonder if anybody knew the number of cycles, number of miles, or time, or the specifics.

Or would the code just pop right back up? Hmmmm.

·
Registered
522 Posts
In my experience, my scanner shows pending codes, confirmed codes, and permanent codes. Pending codes don't trigger a CEL, but will show up pending right away if there is a problem detected. After a certain amount of time or drive cycles, if the code is still there it will become a confirmed code and throw the CEL. I'd say if you don't see a pending code, you probably fixed the problem. Again...just my observations...YMMV.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
In my experience, my scanner shows pending codes, confirmed codes, and permanent codes. Pending codes don't trigger a CEL, but will show up pending right away if there is a problem detected. After a certain amount of time or drive cycles, if the code is still there it will become a confirmed code and throw the CEL. I'd say if you don't see a pending code, you probably fixed the problem. Again...just my observations...YMMV.
Yeah, I checked after I drove for about ten minutes or so yesterday, and there wasn't a pending code. I drove to work, about fifteen minutes, and no CEL. I'll plug in my scantool again after I get home after work. That'll give it three run cycles and about 30 or so miles. Hopefully you're right!

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reubenswinks you were correct. My car instantly threw a few codes and the CEL came on after fifteen miles, after a reset.

For anybody interested, the main codes were P2228, P0069 and one P0121. I believe the P0121 (throttle position sensor) code was due to the P2228 and P0069. It turns out my ambient barometric sensor, not the MAP, was bad. Which was the last place I thought to look, since that sensor was about 3 weeks old at best.

I had originally changed out the MAP sensor, and when it still threw a CEL for sh1ts and giggs I put the old MAP sensor in place of the new barometric sensor (since they use the exact same part), and two days and 200 miles later I'm showing no codes at all.

Hopefully that's it!

Reactions: plano-doug
1 - 6 of 6 Posts