Impala Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1970 Impala and it doesnt have any speakers or radio. I got an old Pioneer I wanna throw in it. I heard that in order to hook it up I gotta splice the Pioneer wires into the wires on the steering column. Is this right? I dont wanna mess up my car by doing this. I have installed cd players in newer cars with no problem, Just not sure on this. Thanks for the help in advance

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
Did the car have a radio from the factory? If it did find the wire for the main radio power.

If it did not or even if the wiring is messed up then;
1) find a fuse that is hot only when the key is on and then pull the fuse and use a DVM and find which side is hot and add a connection for the radio on the other side of the fuse slot when you reattach the fuse. Might try Radio Shack for the parts that clip on over the fuse. I have hooked new wiring to both the glass and blade fuses. This new wire you will want to hook to the radio main power wire.
2) Now find a fuse that is always hot and do the same thing as above except hook this wire to the radios yellow (memory) wire.
If unable to find a constant hot wire then you can run a new wire from the battery, with an inline fuse, to the radio memory wire.

If you need more info please let me know.

My old Impala had a single speaker am/fm when I bought it. It now has 4 way stereo CD/Radio. You can see a pic of the CD/Radio in My Garage. I put the whole thing in my car by my self.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It didnt have a radio in it just the slot. It does have 3 wires hanging in there though. The colors are Yellow, Black and gray. There not connected to anything so I thought that might have been from the old radio.

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
They are, check that the yellow is the power wire with the ignition on. Gray maybe for the insturment panel lights, and black of course is ground. You will need to still run the radio memory wire and speaker wires. My back speakers wires I ran under the carpet along the drivers side of the car.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Those wires are definately for your radio. The yellow is your ignition power line. The gray is for the light or illumination wire, it may dim the unit too if that nob turns. some headunits don't let that feature work. The black wire is your ground. All you need to do is wire the speakers and a constant power line for the radio memory. You can tap into a power line at the fuse box, at the ignition itself or even the battery, just maker sure you fuse that line with what ever the radio suggests. Most have an inline fuse in the red power line. I actually helped a friend wire his 70 chevelle not too long ago, very similar setup he didn't have speaker wires either. Good Luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts