Impala Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I purchased a used, but very beautiful 1970 Chevy Impala and I noticed that there was a deep dent on the driver-side headlight housing. Does anyone know how I could un-dent it? Due note, I can't take the headlamp out due to the caving, so I'm trying to fix that so I can replace the headlamps (both low-beam and high-beam).

·
Registered
797 Posts
If you are referring to the Chrome Headlight Bezel, they are Pot Metal and they don't flex.

Strange to hear of a dent, as they usually just break if damaged.

It wouldn't hurt anything to try, but your best bet would be to just replace it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, it's not the headlight bezel, it's the fender that was caved in, but it's near the headlight.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Hopefully you can see the images, if not, just reply and I will give you a link to the three pictures.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Hopefully you can see the images, if not, just reply and I will give you a link to the three pictures.
You are using Imgur to host the pics. According to what I culled from a bit of Googling, Imgur does not allow hotlinking. So you need to post the pics to another host and update the links.

Or, if they're not too large, just upload them here. ( < 976.6 KB for jpegs )

Re: Imgur : https://www.reddit.com/r/OutOfTheLo...t_changed_about_imgurs_hotlinking_policy_are/

Doug

[Update]I see you modified your post to include clickable links - that will work just as well.

·
Super Moderator
10,955 Posts
Looking at your picture you may be able to remove the inner fender and get up in there with something.

Appears that the trim piece is pretty messed up anyway. Maybe try and source a replacement trim piece and then "cave man" that piece out and do it that way.

·
Registered
2,987 Posts
Would it not be cheaper to just replace the front fender with a front fender from a salvage yard? You may even be able to find the same paint code.
It's for a 1970 model. That might be a bit hard to find.

The dent in the fender is readily repair-able. Finding replacement trim will be more difficult, I expect.

Doug

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I tried to take both the headlamp and the bezel out but it was completely stuck.

·
Super Moderator
10,955 Posts
Sadly, you may have to do some prying on it to get it out of there.
Before you do any of that though make sure you have located some replacement parts for it.

Reactions: 350
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.