Impala Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
I am a rookie here, and I am anxious to get started on my 1st chevy project. I have done several restorations unfortunately no chevy so I will need some help for certain.
I am looking at a 1965 impala SS that is uncompleted , hope to get the price I would like to pay to start. This car has a 350 tune port engine with a 700r4 tranny. The seller has all apart except for the engine , and tranny are in the car. Most of the resto does not worry me all that much. My main concern is he says that the engine is a lt1 covette. How do I know this? Is there much to do to wire all in and make sure this buggy runs . These mods are new to me so if anyone knows of such a setup I would appreciate some solid advise here. Glad to be aboard, and hope to get some knowledge about these SS cars. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
7,057 Posts
If I understand the LT1 engine correctly the two most easily identifiable items are one the "Corvette" on the valve covers and two the spark plug wires running to in front of the engine near the water pump area, that is where the distributer is.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It does not say "corvette" on the valve covers. The corvette version did however come with fuel rail covers that say corvette. Not all LT1 engines came with this. The LT1 will have the spark plug wires going to the front of the motor behind the waterpump.

Looks like this.

click

you can see the four "towers" sticking out near the harmonic balancer (1). That is the Optispark that the plug wires connect to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi,
Be careful! There are different versions of the LT1 out there I have a 96 Buick Roadmaster wagon with an LT1 but it does not have the same horsepower as the corvette LT1 engine - I believe it lacks the aluminum heads etc. So long as you know what engine you are getting and pay accordingly. Good luck!
George

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
hmmm thats wierd wonder y???

·
Registered
14 Posts
The F-bodies have aluminum heads too...

... and a LOT of folks with B-bodies and F-bodies use Vette Fuel Rail covers to clean up their engine compartment.

Personally, I'd have no problem with a Roadmaster, Impala SS or Camaro/Firebird engine. They've all got minor differences in tune and setup, but you'll probably be changing that soon enough. The big difference you *might* care about would be the cast iron heads that came on the Roadmaster Caprice and Impala - They flow a bit better out of the box than the aluminum heads (if you've got plans for some quick bolt-ons but no porting work) but they're a bit heavier and mor expensive to port if you *are* going that route.

If you really want to make sure that you've got a real Vette LT1, I'm guessing that you could run numbers, but the best giveaway is that the fuel is delivered from the passenger side on a Vette, so the fuel rails come off the intake manifold on that side. On the Camaros, Firebirds, Impalas, Caprices and Roadmasters, the fuel rails come off the intake on the driver's side, in an area that is covered by the Vette Fuel Rail covers (necessitating cutting the covers on anything but a real Vette engine).

-Scott

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks

:smile: Thanks to the advise I was able to make a decision on the 65 impala lt1. I am still looking! That is really some kinda ride you have there Stewart! My uncle would have really liked that one. He only drove roadmasters. You all take care, Bob

1 - 7 of 7 Posts