Impala Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i got my 96 ss looked at and they say my cats are bad or going bad i want to get headers and the o2 bypassers or w.e they are can anyone help me out on witch ones are the best or just some in put on what to get... thanks for your help

·
Banned
3,667 Posts
Street trends or Clear image automotive both have websites and both carry a good array of headers and other stuff. They can both help you with info. personally from ALL my experience with B-bodies, headers are a piece of crap for LT-1 applications.

·
Registered
626 Posts
The Clear Image Tri-Ys are pretty nice. Just don't pay for the coating. Get it done locally.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
theres guys here that say u can still get them and stuff tho that y i need to find out so i get the best ones but if no one knows then im just going to buy them tell i get the right ones i guess...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Is your car OBD 1 or 2?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
whats obd 1 and 2???? im looking for the same upgrade:biggrin:

·
Registered
288 Posts
You already have obd1- no upgrade to be made.

On Board Diagnostics (obd)
obd1= pre '96
obd2= '96 and up

The above is pretty universal regardless of make and model. I suppose there could be a few older non-GM vehicles that left the factory with obd2, but all '96 or newer vehicles will be obd2.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no i think mine is the obd 2 thats what hook up he had to see what the code was... but urs should be the same man... and do u know where to get the simulators...

·
Registered
288 Posts
Keith- yes, you have obd2

Pop'n fresh- you have obd1

Good luck finding o2 sims from a large retailer, laws have changed and they're not available. If you search hard enough, you can find them though. As I said, it would be easier to just get them programmed out of the pcm. You won't get through CA smog with either one though.

·
Registered
626 Posts
You're tuner can program out the rears. You just change the car's programming so that it's not looking for them.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
okay so what one should i get then... and is there a diff one for the pcm bc that one is like 380 i think so dose that one do the o2 thing to or do i have to get a diff one

·
Registered
626 Posts
I'm not sure what your question is. What I meant by tuner is somebody who will do a new program for your PCM. You can get a program yourself, such as Tunercat or LT1edit, that will allow you to do your own programming, but I don't know how to do it and I can tell from your questions you don't either. I don't know if there are any handheld tuners, like the predator or diablosport, that are available for our cars or, if there are, whether they'd have this feature. Your best bet is to get in touch with a tuner (i.e., programmer), like pcm4less.com or one of the others, and talk with them about what you need. As mentioned, it's hard as hell to find 02 sims these days because distributers have stopped selling them.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
try mysapce search or just the web im sure youll find someone or just a shitload of peeps on tha west coast w hella caprices and impalas

·
Registered
65 Posts
hey i got my 96 ss looked at and they say my cats are bad or going bad i want to get headers and the o2 bypassers or w.e they are can anyone help me out on witch ones are the best or just some in put on what to get... thanks for your help
Keith,

We also carry a complete line of headers and parts as well. Long tubes and Tri-Y's are in stock and are available with and without cats.

·
Registered
574 Posts
idk man i havnt seen any clubs or anything i wish i could find one ive tryed but no one gets back to me lol...
Keith,

Have you found any club out there yet? If not, send me a pm and I will get you in contact with Cali-SS club via their email address. They will help you out.

Jim

1 - 20 of 28 Posts